News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

My plan

Started by Bigdog, Sep 06, 2023, 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

As you are all probably aware I am doing a 1970 series 2a 109 ex military with a 2 1/4 diesel, I have recently purchased a really nice 2 1/4 petrol engine, so what I am thinking is leaving the 109 as is and keep the petrol engine if I can get a series 2a 88 as my next project that doesn't have an engine and put the petrol engine in it, I also have got a fairly overdrive which I would probably keep and put it with the petrol engine, decisions decision's 🙈🙈

cswagon

Just my thoughts but I'd put the overdrive on the 2 1/4 diesel which would make it a lot more user friendly. I wouldn't want to drive my 109 diesel without one on it. The petrol will be reasonably quiet without one, if you can live with the fuel consumption.
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

Bigdog

Yeah that could work, appreciate your thoughts, what does everyone else think 👍

VOD80

I don't have experience of an overdrive but I can say that my diesel 109 really feels like it is a gear short of a full box - driving at 50mph feels like you are thrashing it!

If I had the chance and the money, I'd probably put an overdrive on.

Cheers, Tony

Alan Drover

I've had an overdrive on my Series 3 for about 30 years and wouldn't be without it. I use it as a fifth gear and very occasionally a splitter gear between 3rd and top.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

autorover1

Ditto. I once had a S3 88" Diesel & found it would pull well in O/D even on 7.50 x 16 tyres . Happily sit at an indicated 70mph on the motorway without feeling stressed .

stevesharpe

I have a Fairey overdrive on my 1961 swb petrol(and yes it really does lower engine revs) but I find it very noisy as the speed builds up
Does anyone have a cure or are they all this noisy?
Steve

Alan Drover

Mine's relatively quiet and always has been. It was rebuilt before I bought it about 30 years ago.
It seems some are quiet and some are noisy.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Davidss

Quote from: stevesharpe on Sep 11, 2023, 08:24 PMI have a Fairey overdrive .... but I find it very noisy as the speed builds up
Does anyone have a cure or are they all this noisy?

The cure I've seen mentioned, but never tried, is to replace the EP90 with thicker EP140, but I don't have a guaranteed method of making the EP140 runny enough to run through the filler. Presumably heat is involved.

Regards.