News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

How hard can it be ! - windscreen angle

Started by Betsy1969, Sep 09, 2023, 08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betsy1969

I have always had a gap between the door tops and the windscreen which gets narrower towards the top ,  and the front part of the door top only just clears the roof gutter whilst the rear part has a more sensible gap. The bulkhead to tub looks ok to the eye and the door bottom sits nicely between the tub and the bulkhead, So ...

I'm thinking that my windscreen is too laid back and could do with being a bit more towards vertical. Also I'm wondering if the roof is too low at the front ( hence the door top issue )

If I loosen or remove a lot of bolts where the roof meets the sides could I nudge it a bit forwards and at the same time loosen the windscreen fixings and adjust slightly ?

I'm also wondering if the seals along the top of windscreen and side panels might need replacing ( she doesn't leak at all so would prefer not to replace seals )

What do you all think ?

Regards Andy

Betsy1969

Ps , before anyone ( Wittsend ? ) 😀 says a picture paints a thousand words etc , I will try and get something sorted later today

William

Quote from: Betsy1969 on Sep 09, 2023, 08:09 AMIf I loosen or remove a lot of bolts where the roof meets the sides could I nudge it a bit forwards and at the same time loosen the windscreen fixings and adjust slightly ?

Just what I did to get the door top/ windscreen gap right - loosened all the bolts and the windscreen lock nuts, adjusted and then held the windscreen in place with a broom handle while I did them up again...worked a treat.

ZebraDriver

Are you sure its not pattern part door tops that are wrong and not the windscreen/roof line?

Martin

diffwhine

If its of any help, here are the official Defender factory dimensions for those angles and door gaps which carried over from Series vehicles.

Land Rover Defender Optimum Dimensions:

Windscreen Angle   27˚
Side Door Aperture Height (From top of sill finisher to roof)   1169.4mm
Distance Horizontal A-B Post   882mm
Distance Horizontal B-C Post   772mm
Gap Above Side Doors   12mm
Front Door To Windscreen Gap   6mm
Other Door Gaps   7mm
Gap Between Top Of Windscreen Frame On Either Side And of Roof Panel   7mm
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Betsy1969

Quote from: ZebraDriver on Sep 09, 2023, 09:43 AMAre you sure its not pattern part door tops that are wrong and not the windscreen/roof line?

Martin
No I'm not sure to be honest , they are from SP panels

Betsy1969

I need to correct my initial post , it's the front end of the doortop that has a gap wider than the rear end which almost touches the gutter .

Pictures later after family duties

Andy

Betsy1969

Betsy1969

Thanks to Diffwhine for the measurements , I'll have a look

Betsy1969

Some more including left side and also sides to tub , does any of this look correct or even close to correct ?

TimV

I think you need to stand further away from the side of the car and square on. Difficult with those close ups to see where the problem starts.

Betsy1969

Yes you're probably right. The difficulty comes from the width of my driveway . I'll have to pull out onto the road and have another go

Andy