News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Painted axles

Started by Bigdog, Sep 12, 2023, 06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Hi , as you are all aware I am doing up a 1970 series 2a 109 ex military and I have noticed that the centre of my back axle is red and the front one is white, should this not be the other way around, thanks

Alan Drover

I believe the diff cover on the rear of a military axle was white so the following vehicle could see the convoy light shining on the white paint when travelling in darkness without lights.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

That's what I had also heard but wasn't sure, wonder why it's painted red

Alan Drover

Sorry, misread your post. Yes, the rear axle should be white. I don't know about the front one.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

At the moment the front is white and rear us red which is strange, obviously I will just paint it white but was just wondering why one was red

Davidss

Quote from: Bigdog on Sep 12, 2023, 09:01 PM... but was just wondering why one was red.

You are not alone in being puzzled by the decisions made by POs.
Later owners may be equally puzzled by decisions you make, it is a known phenomenon, not to be concerned about.

Regards. 

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Bigdog on Sep 12, 2023, 09:01 PMAt the moment the front is white and rear us red which is strange, obviously I will just paint it white but was just wondering why one was red

It's questions like this that give me nightmares.