News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Cool or not?

Started by nathanglasgow, Nov 09, 2023, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

Yes - aluminium over an ash frame so traditionally coach built. It was supposedly a 7 seater...

I can't remember the exact number but I have so thing in the region of less than 500 were built. I think below 30 are still known to exist, but the LRSOC is the place to get those questions answered properly.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

diffwhine

I've just checked the list on a recent LRSOC forum discussion on this and I think there are about 40 odd still known to be either on the road or under restoration.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Presumably they were very expensive compared to bog standard 80

w3526602

Off course the 86" station wagon was the first to introduce the side hinged door although it was made from a standard drivers door bottom and a square door top.

Hi,

Was it luck that the driver's door fitted the hole?

Or forward planning?

Given the superior construction of the door bottom compared to s2, s3 and every thing that came after.

Does an s1 door fit an s2, s3 tub, width at least, I know the height differs.

I did like the fold flat lift of door hinges of the s1.

Craig T

Quote from: w3526602 on Nov 13, 2023, 11:55 AMOff course the 86" station wagon was the first to introduce the side hinged door although it was made from a standard drivers door bottom and a square door top.

Hi,

Or forward planning?

The drivers door is really too narrow to fit in the tailgate gap on the 86" but they added some galvanised strips either side of the opening to take up the gap. The strips on the right side include the hinges and the left side ones carry the door catch.
This picture may show the difference between the tailgate tub opening and where the seal is fitted for the door.

Not too sure if the station wagon side window panels varied from the tailgate / hardtop versions to include the narrower opening or not. I know the station wagon side window panels are different as the windows were special to them and the reinforcing strip spot welded inside was in a different place to the hard tops but, not sure if the rear panels were wider to suit the door.

Craig.

So essentially the hinge supporting upright is a piece of bulkhead that picks up on the antiluce and fills the gap into the bargain.

How does it fasten to the tub at the bottom as that is concealed by thumbnails in your pic.

Does it coincide with a rear crossmember to tub tab.

Craig T

Sorry, I didn't notice the thumbnails, lets try again.

As far as I can see it only attaches to the tub. The door is pretty light and there is no spare wheel mounted on them on the series one. The bonnet mounted spare is the only option on the station wagon as you couldn't put it inside either because of the seats.

Craig.

Thanks Craig

The reason I asked is I had toyed with the idea of side hinging the tailgate on the truck cab without any additional or detrimental holes.

The hinge support piece has them welded to it so assume steel rib as per capping? Not aluminium?

The doors bottoms and tops as I mentioned on s1 other than 80 were the best land rover ever made, gauge construction and galvanised.  My pal parted with his 86 several years back and he has regretted it every day since.

As have I because he offered it to me for a pittance but I did not take him up on it as I knew really that he wanted to keep it.  His wife sold it to a door knocker while he was at work!

Craig T

I have seen people hinging the tailgate before.

The later series 2 tubs were designed with a side hanging door in mind I think so they were stronger than the series one tubs in that area. The series 2 hinges were simple affairs that only required two bolts to fix them in place.

The side hinged tailgates I've seen have used rear door bottom and middle hinges (actually the same hinge, twice) and fitted them where the rear door hinge holes would be. the bottom one goes through the aluminium tub, the top one through the triangle capping piece.

If you already have an undrilled tub and wish to keep it that way, then some fabrication will be needed I guess to maybe bolt on at the top capping where the hardtop fixing hole is then connect to the chassis tab on the crossmemebr perhaps?

The series one rear door hinge mounting strip thing is indeed steel, galvanised just like the capping's. You can't tell on my one as someone I will very shortly be calling all sorts of horrible things, decided to slap green paint all over it!

Craig.

Mine has a similarly grim paint daubing thanks to po who had it a matter of weeks before I saved it.

Was thinking of making a frame that went between cross member hinge bracket and the antiluce, tub is not drilled as it has always been a truck cab from year dot.

GHOBHW

speaking of side hinged tailgates. the land rover I built last year had a farmer special on it, opening different than any usual door would too.

I always thought cause if you were jumping out of the drivers seat, you don't have to walk around the door every time? ???

best one I've seen yet honestly, you can just lift it off in 3 seconds and throw it out of the way :cheers-man

autorover1

Quote from: w3526602 on Nov 13, 2023, 11:55 AMOff course the 86" station wagon was the first to introduce the side hinged door although it was made from a standard drivers door bottom and a square door top.

Hi,

Or forward planning?

It isn't an exact R/H door on the 86"/88" as it uses one L/H door hinge and one R/H Door hinge so one hinge hole is moved compared with an standard R/H door . Guise how I know!  The 107" LWB Station wagon does use a standard R/H front door bottom . The door frame at the back is produced to fit the rear body and accommodate the standard door size.

Craig T

Yup, My one has two right hand door hinges on it, not correct. The top hinge holds the door in the right place but it hovers above the hinge mount so it takes no weight.
I have a spare left hand door hinge to make into the unique top hinge for the rear. They are the same really, just the pin length is offset differently.

I will have one hole in the door to repair then drill a new one for the upside down hinge.

Craig.

Quote from: GHOBHW on Nov 14, 2023, 01:31 PMspeaking of side hinged tailgates. the land rover I built last year had a farmer special on it, opening different than any usual door would too.

I always thought cause if you were jumping out of the drivers seat, you don't have to walk around the door every time? ???

best one I've seen yet honestly, you can just lift it off in 3 seconds and throw it out of the way :cheers-man

That is very tidy, I had not even considered using the original hinges in that orientation.

The brackets appear to be the bolt on hinges from a 90/110 when they stopped welding them to every chassis.