Trying to validate a 1967 2a to see if it's genuine or too good to be true.

Started by MattH268, Nov 23, 2023, 07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

I'm not going to argue Peter. I know there were a few, and I mean a few RAF/Navy diesels for running round the underground munitions stores in caves in the Bath area. There was an article about them in an old magazine.

By and large my statement holds. The Dutch did indeed order a batch of diesel powered LWTs, but these came much later and they had trouble with seals in the tank change-over valves until they fixed it.

The problem here is that seller don't know what they have - they go on the internet and Facebook and believe the 1st thing they read.
Then they come to the real experts - HERE and we don't know what we or the original poster is dealing with  :confused
No picture, no details - we have no chance of giving real advice.

All we can say is that a 1967 vehicle is not going to be what we call a Lightweight.

MattH268

Thanks for all of your replies, My problem is that I don't know enough, and my research only gets me so far leading to confusion  :confused . The other vehicles I've looked at have had better records or have been simpler to identify and all went for more than I was prepared to pay. 

The vehicle is listed on FB marketplace amongst others and is located in the central belt.  If it hasn't sold before I can get there, I do plan to go see it but If I was going to head south, I'd only want to do the journey once with a trailer to potentially collect or decide it's not for me and head north again empty. At this stage I'm trying to decide if that trip is worthwhile based on what I can find out and so far.  At the moment his leads me only to more questions that can only really be answers with details from the seller and by actually seeing it.  I'm just not sure he has more details and if that's the case this one definitely isn't for me.

I don't know if it was military vehicle, it certain has no trace now of this as far as I can tell visually from the pictures online.  My only query was that on most DVLA linked searches the vehicle is registered as an 88" Half Ton.  I wasn't sure if this reference was solely "lightweight" or if all series 2a's of this period were registered to be 88" Half Ton.  With what is listed here it should be easy enough for anyone with the time/inclination to find the vehicle discussed here.

Thank you and apologies now if this is a wild goose chase.

M
Not a Series 2 owner yet just a 1995 90CSW & 2013 110HCPU Owner

Wittsend

Can you provide the Facebook link so folks here can have a look. You may/will get better feedback if you can.

:RHD

Peter Holden

I have had a good look at the photos and I cant see anything that says lightweight.  Axles are proper 2/2A.  It looks like ant nomal 1967 2A that has been around a bit and probably did start life as a 2.25 diesel.  The passenger door is a S3, a common replacement.  The bulkhead plate is there so you should be able to check the number or ask for a photo of the plate.  Is the chassis number visible on the dumb iron?  These are questions you need to think about

The Perkins Prima non starter wouldnt bother me if I was interested but I would be factoring in a secondhand engine into the price and there is nothing wrong wit the land rover 2.25 diesel

I wouldnt pay too much attention to hwhat DVLA have recorded if the vital bits are accurate, V5s are often full of errors

Peter

Wittsend

Thanks for the link.

There's nothing MoD about the vehicle that I can see.

The Perkins Prima is 1994cc.
They are a great engine for the SWB format  :gold-cup

Engine parts are available though Perkins DiPerk, good but not cheap.
The timing belt is not fully enclosed so if you intend to go (extreme) off-roading you could be in trouble, if mud and water get in, but great for road use.
I use to get 40 mpg out of mine, and once got 44mpg on a long trip.
Good for cruising all day at 80 mph down the French autoroutes  :gold-cup
(mine had the turbo tweaked up and an intercooler with overdrive on 7:50 tyres)

The rest of the vehicle seems sound enough and 5K is about right - but you need a working engine.

:RHD

nathanglasgow

I'll be in Edinburgh early next so could have a look at it for you if you like.

MattH268

Many Thanks for your replies, it does look to be a nice solid 2a to me. Clearly a lot of work has gone into it by someone, but they seem to be priced a lot higher than this even with multiple major issues. The engine could be a problem but a mate that has the same Prima engine in his 88 S3 is hopeful that it could be repaired.

I have asked for a photo of the plate as it should clarify a few issues. The chassis has been painted, the seller had said that the number on the dumb iron plate isn't visible.
Not a Series 2 owner yet just a 1995 90CSW & 2013 110HCPU Owner

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Peter Holden on Nov 23, 2023, 12:00 PMThe poster has said that there is a crossmember in front of the rad panel crossmember.  The only chassis that I know of that has duch a crossmember is a lightweight..  We can only identify it from the physical characteristics - I wouldnt be relying on the chassis number

Peter

No, he said there was one in front of the axle.

We are all at cross purposes. We've got a seller who doesn't know anything about the vehicle, a buyer who doesn't know much more, and until a couple of hours ago only guesswork from those of us that have more of a clue, but nothing to base those guesses on.

The link to the advert finally sheds some light. It looks like a decent starting point to me, and although nothing says "military", it's plenty old enough to have been a GS model that's been thoroughly civilianised in the 1/2 century since demob.

Personally, I'd say, based on the pictures, it would appear to be what it claims. Certainly I'd be prepared to spend a day travelling to check it out as there's no obvious alarms ringing at first glance. Give it a good look over, take a punt if it feels right and the shiny paint isn't hiding any horrors.

geoff

Better view / buy it quick before someone else does ................  I'm tempted but too far away  :RHD

Exile

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Nov 23, 2023, 05:20 PMI'd be prepared to spend a day travelling to check it out as there's no obvious alarms ringing at first glance. 

I had the same reaction when I saw it.

If the numbers check, buy it.

Wittsend

To add ...

You have a registration number - does the V5C registration document have a chassis number which matches the plate in the cab ???

If so, it looks OK that the paperwork matches up.

Quite a lot of vehicles have "lost" their chassis number as stamped on the front dumb iron.

MoD vehicle typically were cast off (retired from MoD service and sold by auction) after 10 years service. They were then registered for 1st use on the road. Often this date is what appears in the reg doc.

"F" is correct for a 1967 vehicle - if it were military then it would be a Series 1 - and this doesn't make sense. So, I doubt very much it was an MoD vehicle. If it were, it would have a more modern registration mark.

:teacher
But a PO could well have applied for an age related plate - except what you have is not an age related plate issued by the DVLA. It's possible that a PO paid for a cherished number - maybe their initials, but this would have cost a lot of money.

*RP plates were issued by Northamptonshire CC.

Old Hywel

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Old Hywel on Nov 23, 2023, 05:56 PMWhere does the 'military' connection come from? ???

There isn't one, I don't think, just a misunderstanding about crossmembers and the fact that it's recorded as an 88" 1/2-ton, which means nothing.

Theshed

Got to be honest, if I was in the market for another 2A I would be sorely tempted.
No expert of course but it has more 2A about it than one I went to see which had 'matching numbers' for a '66 but more Series 3 parts than was good for it ?
If you looking, go view, take pic's and ask seller is it ok if you ask further questions. No reason for him to say no.