Trying to validate a 1967 2a to see if it's genuine or too good to be true.

Started by MattH268, Nov 23, 2023, 07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Holden

I asked about the front crossmember and teh axle ends Glen because they are a quick and dirty way of getting an idea if it is a lightweight but of course axle ends can be changed.  The front crossmember is the give away but interestingly I looked at the photo of the front, looked at the front of my S2 then at loads and loads of photos of the fronts of lightweights and I noticed a difference in how much of the front sping hanger that can be seen below the bumper.  I now want to put a lightweight next to my S2 to check that i am not imagining things.

Peter

MattH268

1st person there bought it unsurprisingly.  My search continues but thank you for all of the replies.
Not a Series 2 owner yet just a 1995 90CSW & 2013 110HCPU Owner

w3526602

very few lightweights were diesel, only those on airfield where there was a risk of fire

Hi Peter,

Nit picking here. but agreeing.

MY S2 Land Rovers, on the RAF 33sqn SAM Site, in a far corner of the swamp, at RAAF Butterworth, two hoots, a holler, and a ferry trip, from Penang Island, were absolutely clapped out S2 diesels.

Clapped out? It was impossible to get a "spray" from the injectors at cranking speed.

Swamp? The biggest cobra in Malaya (15ft) was found in one of our store rooms. I had a Personal Nearness experience with a 5ft Cobra that was in the swamp, watching the snake expert hold it down with a broom, while screaming for a spade, having initially identified it as a harmless water snake. To my eyes, it seemed rather annoyed. Such fun!