News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

chassis replacement

Started by Wastell123, Dec 28, 2023, 12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wastell123

Looking to get a new chassis for my IIa 88". Has anyone got experience/comments about the Maer chassis ?

GlenAnderson

After, literally, years of prevarication, my mate Martin plumped for a Maer replacement for his 110 chassis. He is as picky as I am, and is generally very pleased with it. His one complaint is that they add a profile-cut "Maer" badge, that he feels is a potential rust trap, and that he would have specifically asked them not to if he'd been aware of it.

stevesharpe

Anyone got a feel for the cost of chassis replacement? I realise there may be extras when rebuilding, but just the basic cost

Wastell123

Wastell123

Quote from: stevesharpe on Dec 28, 2023, 01:12 PMAnyone got a feel for the cost of chassis replacement? I realise there may be extras when rebuilding, but just the basic cost

At the moment i have just stripped down the beast. but the cost of the chassis is just over £2K with delivery etc

diffwhine

Quote from: stevesharpe on Dec 28, 2023, 01:12 PMAnyone got a feel for the cost of chassis replacement? I realise there may be extras when rebuilding, but just the basic cost

Do you mean with paying somebody to do it, or doing it yourself? The problem is the "while I'm in there" factor. Much depends on the overall condition of the base vehicle. I did a total rebuild of a late 2A 88" for somebody during lockdown and with a Rob Owen bulkhead, Shielder chassis (actually not bad), all new brakes, steering, suspension, axle overhauls, electrics etc. and no engine or gearbox work, it still came out at just under £18K. There was a very big parts bill!

If a literal swap and no additional work apart from probably new braking system and exhaust, I reckon its going to start around £4500 to pay somebody else to do it even half nicely. There are plenty who would do it cheaper, but not necesarily tidily or properly.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

autorover1

Quote from: Wastell123 on Dec 28, 2023, 12:28 PMLooking to get a new chassis for my IIa 88". Has anyone got experience/comments about the Maer chassis ?
A friend of mine in Germany has just bought one and has started rebuilding his  88"  and his comment is "Super" good.

I fell into the trap of " I can't fit that old part to the new frame" mentality when rebuilding a Morris Minor. It ended up stalling and I sold it on.  Took a different view with my S1 LR. Just made it solid & presentable. and did it in bite sized chunks. 

Gareth

I rebuilt an 88" 1968 barn find. New Richards chassis, Rob Owen bulkhead, rebuilt petrol engine and gearbox. Renewed brakes, rear suspension, re wired, reupholstered the seats, complete body refurb including respray, and lots more small things.

Took me 2 years part time doing everything myself. Cost me about £14k all in, including purchase cost of the vehicle. Obviously my time was free.

Mycroft

I got a quote of £2-5k + VAT recently, depending on the amount of work and upgrading along the way.
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

haveyoubooked

Quote from: Wastell123 on Dec 28, 2023, 12:28 PMLooking to get a new chassis for my IIa 88". Has anyone got experience/comments about the Maer chassis ?

I had quite a bit of contact with them pre buying a new chassis for my 109 6cyl. They were knowledgeable and friendly but there were long gaps in getting answers back (sometimes weeks).

As a result I ended up going for a Richards, despite the extra £650 and I'm very happy with the whole /contact/delivery/product...

My only other observation, is when I had a look at a Maer on a 110 a friend was rebuilding, there was a strange method Maer used of adding captive nuts to the chassis where it ended up leaving an upstanding area around the nut so that it left whatever was bolted on a couple of mm proud.

That said he's done a few on maers and said when they do eventually arrive, they've been very straight and good to work with and they did him a cavity protection and stone chip service pre delivery

Exile

Aren't Maer chassis made of thicker steel, and therefore a fair bit heavier than the originals?

Could be an old wives tale, but I was told today that it took two men to lift a standard SWB chassis, four men to lift a Maer.

gosney83

Quote from: Exile on Dec 29, 2023, 05:53 PMAren't Maer chassis made of thicker steel, and therefore a fair bit heavier than the originals?

Could be an old wives tale, but I was told today that it took two men to lift a standard SWB chassis, four men to lift a Maer.
That was 4 men to carry a lwb chassis, not swb.  :RHD

haveyoubooked

Quote from: gosney83 on Dec 29, 2023, 08:29 PM
Quote from: Exile on Dec 29, 2023, 05:53 PMAren't Maer chassis made of thicker steel, and therefore a fair bit heavier than the originals?

We were probably feeling weak but we used 4 men to shift my new Richard's 109 chassis relatively comfortably. I don't reckon it would have been doable for 2. Will have to try it now!

GlenAnderson

Three of us moved my mate Martin's 110 Maer chassis. It was about at the limits of what we could manage.

Twenty years ago, two of us moved my 109" chassis from the delivery truck to the side of my garage, and I managed to do all the subsequent manhandling alone. That's a long time ago now though.

Wastell123

Quote from: haveyoubooked on Dec 29, 2023, 09:37 PM
Quote from: gosney83 on Dec 29, 2023, 08:29 PM

We are old and weak but it took 4 of us to shift an 88" chassis, mind you that was through a standard door so we had to stand it up on it side.

We were probably feeling weak but we used 4 men to shift my new Richard's 109 chassis relatively comfortably. I don't reckon it would have been doable for 2. Will have to try it now!