News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

7.50 16 or 235 85 16

Started by Bigdog, Feb 02, 2024, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Sorry just me again, what size of tyre looks better on the series Land Rover, I believe the 2 tyre sizes are similar but one is slightly wider, thanks

Peter Holden

I have 750s because I prefer them but they are getting hard to find at a sensible price.

Peter

Alan Drover

It will probably depend on whether you've got tubed or tubeless rims although tubed 7.50's are now getting hard to get. With tubeless rims you'll have a much wider choice.
I'm running Goodyear G90's on tubeless Wolf wheels.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I'm sure I understand why they're hard to find? Sourcing is easy. A functioning keyboard and 15 secs, just seen 4 options and 6-7 suppliers.

Mitas NB37 & Mitas CT 06 anyone?

Dopey

Quote from: Alan Drover on Feb 02, 2024, 07:36 PMIt will probably depend on whether you've got tubed or tubeless rims although tubed 7.50's are now getting hard to get. With tubeless rims you'll have a much wider choice.

What's the best road tyre for wolf rims?

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Dopey on Feb 02, 2024, 08:02 PM
Quote from: Alan Drover on Feb 02, 2024, 07:36 PMIt will probably depend on whether you've got tubed or tubeless rims although tubed 7.50's are now getting hard to get. With tubeless rims you'll have a much wider choice.

What's the best road tyre for wolf rims?

IMHO General Grabber TR in 235/85R16.

The General SAG in 7.50 R16 gives a more off-road bias. The Hifly TRAL in 7.50 R16 seems good too. If your Wolf wheels are tubeless then you already have more options.

Brace yourself for a million other opinions.

Peter Holden

I had Hifly van tyres on my camper and I was not impressed.  I have ancient 750 wranglesr on my land rover and I really like them

Peter

Alan Drover

There's no "best tyre" for Wolf wheels. It all depends on what use you want from the tyres, 50/50 on/off road bias, more on road than off or vice versa or what. It's really up to your personal choice.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GlenAnderson

Goodyear Wrangler in 235/85 are also a good road biased tyre.

simonbav

What did you find with the Hifly van tyres, Peter?
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Peter Holden

On our camper poor grip especially in the wet

Peter

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I don't understand tyre threads.

1. They're black and round
2. The top brands are very pricey.
3. The cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.
4. Many will find ways to justify sub-standard tyres.
5. Some will tell you their tyres are good/bad when without a datum it'll be opinion.
6. LR owners are legendary for being tight. Thus you'll see pages on the subject.
7. There is no free-lunch with tyres. You can have good or cheap. Not both.

And that's about it.

I'm going to tell you to bite the bullet and rush in for a set of Michelin XZY 7.50 x 16.
Is this advice sound? Maybe, er... maybe not? I say this because that's what I have. I don't know, and nor will anyone else.

And that's where we came in.

John

I have 235/85 on Discovery 1 steel rims but I was thinkinking if they ever wear out I would look of
750's as I think they would make for lighter steering but as most of all of my driving is on road it seems hard to find a road pattern in that size at a fair price,
I also might go back to 5 1/2" rims, ideally tubless type from a Defender, but to narrow for 235's :confused
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

diffwhine

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Feb 03, 2024, 09:52 AMI don't understand tyre threads.

1. They're black and round
2. The top brands are very pricey.
3. The cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.
4. Many will find ways to justify sub-standard tyres.
5. Some will tell you their tyres are good/bad when without a datum it'll be opinion.
6. LR owners are legendary for being tight. Thus you'll see pages on the subject.
7. There is no free-lunch with tyres. You can have good or cheap. Not both.

And that's about it.

I'm going to tell you to bite the bullet and rush in for a set of Michelin XZY 7.50 x 16.
Is this advice sound? Maybe, er... maybe not? I say this because that's what I have. I don't know, and nor will anyone else.

And that's where we came in.

I disagree...
This thread was started with a very valid question where a user asked for an opinion - which type looks better? As such, any response would be subjective and therefore open to debate. That is what has happened although the thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent with the original question remaining not fully answered. This was not a thread about tyre choice, price or functionality, it was about what looks best and therefore "right" in the eye of the beholder.

So... In answer to the original question, like Peter, I would say that 7:50 x 16s look right on an old Series vehicle of this type. The "metric" dimension tyres tend to look a bit chunkier and if that is your wont, then its an entirely personal choice.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Betsy1969

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Feb 02, 2024, 09:19 PMGoodyear Wrangler in 235/85 are also a good road biased tyre.

Goodyear Wrangler are or at least were factory fit on Ford Rangers ( I've used several in the last 8 years , all new at the time ) and I found them very good , mostly motorway use but ok in occasional snow. Front wheel spin on wet uphill starts was an issue but probably caused by loaded car trailer on the back and two wheel drive engaged. Easily sorted by switching ( yes I know ) into 4 wheel drive until you get moving.

Andy