It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

7.50 16 or 235 85 16

Started by Bigdog, Feb 02, 2024, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Are 205 x 70 x 16 no good instead of 7.50 x 16

Alan Drover

They're a bit skinny looking but fit standard SWB rims, not suitable for LWB rims. Again, you'll probably find a very limited supply of tubed tyres in this size. The nearest imperial equivalent is the standard SWB fitting 6.00x16.
Bite the bullet, buy a set of tubeless rims and there's a vast range of tubeless tyres for every taste and use.
I agree that 7.50''s suit a Series. On an SWB they fill the wheel arches much better than a 6.00 tyre.
Wolf wheels are 6.5" wide. There are tubed  and tubeless versions available.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Unfortunately my existing rims have just been sand blasted and painted so hence why I really don't want to replace them, really a lot of mixed views on using tubeless tyres on tubed rimes, would be ok if maybe tubes were fitted to tubeless tyres, are there some tubeless tyre makes that can take tubes

Alan Drover

I think some Michelin tubeless tyres can be used with tubes but most tubeless tyres have a rough inner which can chafe a tube.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

John

Quote from: John on Feb 03, 2024, 10:06 AMI have 235/85 on Discovery 1 steel rims but I was thinkinking if they ever wear out I would look of
750's as I think they would make for lighter steering but as most of all of my driving is on road it seems hard to find a road pattern in that size at a fair price,
I also might go back to 5 1/2" rims, ideally tubless type from a Defender, but to narrow for 235's :confused
Just looking again and if I was to change tyres today for my use I would go for- Michelin Latitude Cross.750R16, I have these in 235/70 size on my Discovery 2 and they seem a good all round tyre and wear well but not cheap in 750 size at close to £200 each, being £1000 for a set of 5 :shakinghead
(perhaps time to buy another Lotto ticket)
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum

Dopey

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Feb 03, 2024, 09:52 AMI don't understand tyre threads.

1. They're black and round
2. The top brands are very pricey.
3. The cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.
4. Many will find ways to justify sub-standard tyres.
5. Some will tell you their tyres are good/bad when without a datum it'll be opinion.
6. LR owners are legendary for being tight. Thus you'll see pages on the subject.
7. There is no free-lunch with tyres. You can have good or cheap. Not both.

And that's about it.

I'm going to tell you to bite the bullet and rush in for a set of Michelin XZY 7.50 x 16.
Is this advice sound? Maybe, er... maybe not? I say this because that's what I have. I don't know, and nor will anyone else.

And that's where we came in.

And also have you ever noticed, they always go flat at the bottom, never the top (remember my name)

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: diffwhine on Feb 03, 2024, 10:12 AMI disagree...
This thread was started with a very valid question where a user asked for an opinion - which type looks better?

Of course you're right, I missed they come in 3 x sizes, 9.00 x 16; 7.50 x 16; Metric.
Dopey has wise words too, they're flat at the bottom.

That about covers every tyre thread for eternity.

Old Hywel

Quote from: Alan Drover on Feb 03, 2024, 10:28 AMThey're a bit skinny looking (205s) but fit standard SWB rims, not suitable for LWB rims.

Can't agree.
Fitting 205s to SWB rims is generally frowned upon, with the wider LWB recommended. Indeed, the original Range Rover used 205 tyres, and I'd imagine the Rostyle wheel was wider still.

Dopey

The reason I asked about a road tyre I have G90s on right now, and going to drive to Germany Nürburgring (Nordschleife) and watch some racing and sleep in the landy and don't fancy the rumble of G90s all the way there and back.

Alan Drover

Quote from: Old Hywel on Feb 03, 2024, 01:51 PM
Quote from: Alan Drover on Feb 03, 2024, 10:28 AMThey're a bit skinny looking (205s) but fit standard SWB rims, not suitable for LWB rims.

Can't agree.
Fitting 205s to SWB rims is generally frowned upon, with the wider LWB recommended. Indeed, the original Range Rover used 205 tyres, and I'd imagine the Rostyle wheel was wider still.
I thought 205/16 was equivalent to 6.00/16. My mistake.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

biloxi

Excerpt from a Haynes 1958-85 workshop manual.
.W.

Alan Drover

From that extract might I be correct in assuming that 205/16 is more or less equivalent to 6.00/16?
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Slightly wider, but pretty much the same rolling circumference.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

I know I am going to get criticised but I have been offered  235/85/16 Goodrich K02 tyres locally, I am going to try them without tubes first then I will put tubes in them if it doesn't work out

Alan Drover

Quote from: Bigdog on Feb 04, 2024, 10:28 AMI know I am going to get criticised but I have been offered  235/85/16 Goodrich K02 tyres locally, I am going to try them without tubes first then I will put tubes in them if it doesn't work out
You're right about being criticised. Putting tubeless tyres on tubed rims is downright dangerous and irresponsible putting you, any passengers and other road users at risk. There's no hump to keep the tyre on the rim and the rims are NOT airtight.
For goodness sake sell your tubed rims and buy a set of tubeless ones.
"Ça plane pour moi!"