News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

7.50 16 or 235 85 16

Started by Bigdog, Feb 02, 2024, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Decided not to go with the Ko2 tyres now, I want to keep my original tubed rims as I have just had them refurbished,the search continues, but there must be tubeless tyres that take tubes or is this not the issue, is it that you can't fit tubeless tyres even if tubes are installed

Alan Drover

Pleased you're not fitting tubed tyres to tubeless rims. As previously stated I think that some Michelin tubeless tyres will take tubes otherwise it's proper tubed tyres and beware of cheap fleabay crap.
Try Vintage Tyres at Beaulieu. They sell Michelin tubes and can advise on suitable tyres.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

There is the Deestone ones and the security tyres but I am just not sure about them

Alan Drover

Can't help there unfortunately.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Bigdog on Feb 04, 2024, 03:20 PMThere is the Deestone ones and the security tyres but I am just not sure about them

Easy. Cheap tyres or good? Both those are cheap, in which case, it'll not make much difference, either of those will suit.

22900013A

Quote from: Bigdog on Feb 04, 2024, 03:07 PMDecided not to go with the Ko2 tyres now, I want to keep my original tubed rims as I have just had them refurbished,the search continues, but there must be tubeless tyres that take tubes or is this not the issue, is it that you can't fit tubeless tyres even if tubes are installed

The original rims will be 5.5" which limits you to 7.50x16, plenty of patterns available in mud, all terrain or road pattern. Pick one you like the look of and which suits your needs. As stated elsewhere the higher cost usually indicates a better quality tyre. I like the general super allgrip, had them on my series 3, very good tyre but not cheap.
Most michelins can be run with or without tubes.

Ed Straker

In West Oz, Toyota takeoffs can be had periodically when dealers swap them out.  They are sold relatively cheaply and have only delivery miles on them.

These are 225_95_r16 Dunlop Road Grippers and suit the LWB quite well, keeping the skinny Series look.

Ed Straker

diffwhine

Excellent tyres. I scored a result a couple of years ago when we built a batch of cash in transit vehicles for an African market and we upgraded the Toyota suspension and wheels / tyres.

25 vehicles worth of Toyota rims and 7.50 Dunlop tyres to punt out. Made a few bob. Only then did I realise that I should have kept a few for myself...  :thud

Sadly not available in the UK or EU. They probably aren't approved or something.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

Anyone with experience off the insa turbo Dakar tyres, 235/85/16

Alan Drover

They're remoulds as far as I can find out. I can't find whether they're tubed or tubeless though
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

They have retread written on them

Dopey

Remoulds have a higher manufacture strictness of compliance than new tyres, they have a lot higher standard

Alan Drover

Quote from: Bigdog on Feb 06, 2024, 07:11 PMThey have retread written on them
Then only the tread has been replaced.  I wonder where the retread is done although I presume they will have to pass UK inspection first. I remember buying retreads when I was an impecunious teenage motorist millenia ago. I didn't know they were still made. How long they'll last is the question.
Always remember that tyres are your only contact with the road when buying.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GlenAnderson

Quote from: Dopey on Feb 06, 2024, 07:31 PMRemoulds have a higher manufacture strictness of compliance than new tyres, they have a lot higher standard

Indeed.

For a number of years I ran "Olympic Bandit" remoulds in 7.50R16 flavour. They had the same tread pattern as the Goodyear Wranglers of the time. They were excellent on the road, and significantly cheaper than any other radial on the market at the time. The downside was that they didn't last particularly long. I never had one fail though.

They were remoulded in a factory in Wales somewhere IIRC, but they've been out of production for decades.

Personally, I'd take a radial remould over a new crossply any day.