Was it you? I saw my first 'real' Series in what must be 20 years...

Started by NoBeardNoTopKnot, Feb 07, 2024, 12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: biloxi on Feb 08, 2024, 01:20 PM.... to drive a car with a non synchro gear box...
.W.

Will admit you have me there, I've a late box in there and keep promising myself a 5-cog. Mine has brakes for daily use, and steering like few - in short underneath it's more a Santana Cazorla resto-mod than any S2/S3. Then again it's like that because I drive it. It looks very stock, yet a few mods  means I do miles I would not fancy without.

Exile

Surely one must have a screw loose - having driven too many noisy old Land Rover headbangers all one's life - to actually choose to go to Sainsburys each week in another one, even when it's brass monkeys weather?  :confused

All wrapped up in several layers, wandering around the Supermarket looking like the Michelin Man, and constantly saying "pardon" to the checkout girl because the old diesel has deafened one on the way.....

I only do it to please Mr Topknot.
I hope he appreciates it.....

GHOBHW

Quote from: Exile on Feb 08, 2024, 06:51 PMSurely one must have a screw loose - having driven too many noisy old Land Rover headbangers all one's life - to actually choose to go to Sainsburys each week in another one, even when it's brass monkeys weather?  :confused

All wrapped up in several layers, wandering around the Supermarket looking like the Michelin Man, and constantly saying "pardon" to the checkout girl because the old diesel has deafened one on the way.....

I only do it to please Mr Topknot.
I hope he appreciates it.....

thats a beauty, last time I had the canvas top on with bags in the back, parked and left it for 5 minutes (with the empty bags) and got the windows slashed and bags taken! so now empty bags sit on the passenger footwell...

are those 6.00 tyres, they always look better than 7.50s on 88"s in my opinion :RHD
never fitted sills to mine either...yet?

the cold isn't so bad in mine, the round smiths heater is brilliant once its warmed up, which usually isn't the case for shops, seeing as theyre 5 minutes away, but still.

biloxi

My limited experience in driving a Series Land Rover without heater in near freezing temperatures is that when you
stop and get out it's warmer.
.W.

Sunny Jim

Since I quit work, I use the Land Rover more often, and do more miles than in my car! I did see a Series 3 a few weeks ago, and I saw a Series 1 in the next village on Sunday (it looked very clean and 'patinated' i.e half the paint had been polished through, but not going anywhere!) On Monday, I washed off about half a ton of accumulated mud from mine. You will find that a lot of people who work on Steam Railways (OK, and some diesel freaks) own and use Series Land Rovers. I wont go anywhere far in mine at the moment as I am recovering from surgery that makes the Land Rovers natural vibration frequency's interaction with the human bladder more intense! I do have an uprated 2.5 petrol, front disk brakes and a Roverdrive to make things a bit better. Mine also lives in a garage now, which makes it better in bad weather. I have uprated differentials to fit sometime as well.

Sunny Jim

malcolm

Unfortunately there is no 20 year old new owners coming thru interested in Series Land Rovers.
At the moment my daily driver is the Series 2 but at this time of year it can be hard going like driving a fridge with steamed up windows.
Didn't bother me 30 years ago but heated seats and heaters are very appealing.

Uffddd

Quote from: malcolm on Feb 08, 2024, 11:15 PMUnfortunately there is no 20 year old new owners coming thru interested in Series Land Rovers.
At the moment my daily driver is the Series 2 but at this time of year it can be hard going like driving a fridge with steamed up windows.
Didn't bother me 30 years ago but heated seats and heaters are very appealing.

I wouldn't say 20 year olds are not interested, but they probably can't afford them. People spend 2-3k on a wreck that needs a new chassis and bulkhead these days, you're looking at at least double that for something in that is roadworthy. It ends up as a lot of money for a vehicle that at best isn't particularly comfortable, safe or practical.

GHOBHW

as above, I'm 26, but have been around land rovers all my life, always one on the driveway. my dads had them all his life and his dad had them, basically genetics at this point.

started buying and doing my own land rovers when I was 21, bought an 88" station wagon for £800 and one with just the rolling chassis and tub for £200. never paid over 1k for one. from ebay too!

if I was starting now, I wouldn't have been able to. so I suspect a lot of younger people are in the same position now. plus the space required to even rebuild one when you do buy a wreck..

plus insurance on them is insane for younger people, even with classic car insurance.

all plays a part in them not being around on the roads as much. :RHD

malcolm

I'm maybe being unfair to the 20 somethings but having 3 daughters maybe plays a part, none of their boyfriends/friends have shown much of an interest in the old car.
Maybe its where i stay but in the nearly 3 years when the car was in bits on my drive only about 2 people came and asked about the car.
Might be a good thing really if its thought of as an old banger.

Alan Drover

2 Defenders seen today, prefix D and prefix K registrations, both within a mile of home. Both are working Land Rovers.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

I know a few young'uns who are definitely interested - one in particular who is rebuilding a basket case of a S3 diesel and doing a cracking job. I help with info and parts as much as I can because his father is a good friend of mine as well. They are out there, but it helps if there is parental interest in such vehicles. I know of another chap who has dropped out of university due to a significant life limiting brain cancer - he too is loving rebuilding an old Series LR.

They are out there...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Oilyrag921

It's very true, the s2 and 3 have become the only go out occasionaly classis cars for the most part.  I don't see any running about in East Lancs, but Defenders -yes a few including my milkman who uses his 15 plate swb every day on deliveries. Some years ago our postie used a s3 V reg for deliveries, now it's all Peugeot partners for Royal Mail, also, a local wood yard had a s3 trayback.  If I drive over to W.Yorks, I do see a couple up around the moors always parked up though.  You won't see mine either at the moment as the head is off.

Gres

Quote from: Oilyrag921 on Feb 09, 2024, 08:01 PMIt's very true, the s2 and 3 have become the only go out occasionaly classis cars for the most part.  I don't see any running about in East Lancs, but Defenders -yes a few including my milkman who uses his 15 plate swb every day on deliveries. Some years ago our postie used a s3 V reg for deliveries, now it's all Peugeot partners for Royal Mail, also, a local wood yard had a s3 trayback.  If I drive over to W.Yorks, I do see a couple up around the moors always parked up though.  You won't see mine either at the moment as the head is off.

There are a few series of various ages in Ramsbottom, however I haven't driven past another in 10+ years, despite one chap living about 1/2 a mile away. Some of the Defender owners wave but it's rare.
I see Series vehicles passing through about once a month on the main road, perhaps I should start waving even if I'm on foot 👣

diffwhine

I saw a 2B Forward Control (might have been a 2A, but didn't see the bows) towing a 90 on a trailer on the M25 this afternoon. Clearly somebody is putting their pride and joy to work.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

gcc130