News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Engine arrived

Started by Bigdog, Sep 07, 2023, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

My 2 1/4 engine arrived but I think I will keep it dry stored just now as I just don't know what to do, do I swap  it for my diesel while I am at this stage 🤷�♂️

Bigdog

This is the 2 1/4 petrol just arrived

Craig T

Well wrapped up.
Personally I'd go for it, never been a fan of Diesels myself.

Looks like a later 2286 engine with a filler spout with a radiator style cap on the top.
Craig.

GlenAnderson

I would certainly consider doing the swap while the wings are off, as access will never be better and it gives you a bit of a head start on identifying whichever minor items you're still missing.

The only thing you need to be aware of while doing it that way is to try to orient hose clips and suchlike so that they can still be accessed down the line when the inevitable repairs are needed. Nothing worse than finding something that was easy to fit with "assembly X" off the vehicle, impossible to remove with it on, but if you'd only put the clip 90 degrees round the other way it would be easy...

...It would also allow you to sell the diesel on and free up the space that the extra engine is occupying.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Agreed. And I might have the wind direction wrong, yet somehow I doubt this. It's not worth much now, yet the longer you hold on, the more boat-anchor your diesel becomes.

Gareth

I swapped the diesel for a petrol on the 88". Before I did the swap, and with the front end in bits so it was all visible, I got the diesel engine running and filmed it. Once the swap was complete I sold the diesel for what I paid for petrol engine, the video of it running helped a lot.

BigDog

Re engine transport, what carrier delivered it and what distance has it travelled and at what cost if you dont mind me asking?

Did seller wrap and palletise prior to collection by the carrier.

Bigdog

It was through pallet force I think, I would need to double check, seller wrapped it up and it came from Halifax to my door in Argyll for £220

Bigdog

My only concern changing to petrol is that I already have a new wiring loom to suit the diesel which I do believe can still be used but with some alterations, also do I need to change fuel tanks , I have one under each seat, exhaust I don't mind as I need a new one anyway, do you think it would be relatively straightforward

diffwhine

About as simple as you can get. You can use the same fuel tanks. You will need to do a bit of playing with ignition switches to give you an ignition feed for the coil, but it's a bolt for bolt swap. You will also need some parts of the accelerator linkage, but this really is pretty straightforward.

If it has twin tanks, was it originally a military vehicle? If so, it will have been petrol originally and should be even simpler!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

diffwhine

One thing to note is that the diesel fuel lift pump operates at a higher pressure to the petrol one - they are not supposed to be interchangeable although I hear of LR dealers superseding the petrol part number to the diesel one.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Bigdog

Yeah it's an ex military one and I believe started life as a petrol

Bigdog

Also I am installing a whole new wiring loom so hopefully be able to modify it to suit the petrol engine

Alan Drover

Quote from: diffwhine on Sep 08, 2023, 07:42 PMOne thing to note is that the diesel fuel lift pump operates at a higher pressure to the petrol one - they are not supposed to be interchangeable although I hear of LR dealers superseding the petrol part number to the diesel one.
Correct. I've had a Tdi lift pump on my petrol Series 3 for a while. I bought it from a main dealer at Old Sarum near Salisbury. It came with  additional rubber fuel lines to attach to the existing input and output lines.
I was told it superseded the glass bowl pump.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

This is the engine before it was wrapped