News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Correct Rear Step

Started by malcolm, Sep 09, 2023, 02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malcolm

Hi looking for help regarding the correct square type rear step to fit.
Does anyone have one that they could send me pics of and measurements.
When I originally bought the car it had a square step on the passenger side which I removed as it was in poor condition, think it was unfortunately binned.
Is the bracketry for the square steps similar to the the half circle steps.         

BradfordS2

I'd be interested in the measurements and pictures too. Been thinking of making a set including the side steps out of a scrap pair of the later semi circle steps...

malcolm

Doesn't appear to be a picture of the fixings in the parts book

Exile

Photo shows how rear step is attached.

BradfordS2

Quote from: Exile on Sep 09, 2023, 11:36 PMPhoto shows how rear step is attached.

Would you have any pics of the matching side steps?
Is the step in your pic a restored original or a replica? What are the edging strips made from? Lots of questions, sorry!  :cheers-man

malcolm

Thanks that's helpful, is the flat bar that bolts underneath part of the step or can you remove the step.
The vertical curved pieces underneath do they contact the chassis for the correct angle.
Has it got to folded up when not in use,is the spring not fitted or is it not used.
A lot of questions. :confused

malcolm

Quote from: BradfordS2 on Sep 10, 2023, 11:36 AM
Quote from: Exile on Sep 09, 2023, 11:36 PMPhoto shows how rear step is attached.

Would you have any pics of the matching side steps?
Is the step in your pic a restored original or a replica? What are the edging strips made from? Lots of questions, sorry!  :cheers-man
If I recall the square side steps are more or less the same fittings as the half circle steps.

Craig T

I found this picture a while ago. I saved it as I'm interested in changing my single support half round steps to have two supports.
The mounting brackets do look much the same.

Craig.

Tom_W

I seem to recall that the centrally-positioned rear step was only on very early series 2 station wagons. This position was taken over from the series one 107 station wagons.
It soon moved slightly to the left.

Regards,

Tom

diffwhine

Presumably in the central location it also get in the way of any tow equipment?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Larry S

Quote from: diffwhine on Sep 11, 2023, 04:16 PMPresumably in the central location it also get in the way of any tow equipment?

Here is an advert from LRNA for the station wagon.  It shows the rear step and absolutely no sign of tow equipment.  If you look close there aren't even any bolt holes for the tow plate.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Larry S

Here is another advert from LRNA. It shows a smaller version of the rectangular rear step being used as a sidestep.

I'm wondering if the type of sidestep used depended on the type of Rover, or perhaps the region.  We're the various types used at the same time or different styles based on year as well.

Anyone know?   ???

Larry S

Where did you get the step?

malcolm

Here's a good picture had this a while, interesting road test brochure from across the pond.

Exile

Quote from: Craig T on Sep 11, 2023, 08:41 AMI found this picture a while ago. I saved it as I'm interested in changing my single support half round steps to have two supports.
The mounting brackets do look much the same.

Craig.

That was my picture Craig, that I put on here a while ago to answer similar questions to the ones on here now.
I bought them specifically to use them for mounting the earlier rectangular side steps, as they are the same.

See photo below.