News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Coolant capacities

Started by Dazzerpig, Sep 13, 2023, 02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazzerpig

i'm trying to sort out an overheating problem and i have looked in the workshop manual at coolant capacities which state 2.25 diesel holds 10.0 litres, now i'm running a 2.5 n/a diesel with series 4 row heavy duty rad which can't be much different? and i can only manage to fill the system with 5 litres, is the book wrong or do i have a problem somewhere?,thanks Daryl.

GHOBHW

I just recently cleaned out my engine as a core plug had a hole in it.

the amount of old antifreeze/slime in there was insane, it was like a jelly blob until I hit it with a hosepipe.

maybe something like this is happening?

have you drained the block completely or does it still hold water?

Dazzerpig

yes,bottom hose off ,rad drain plug open, now running it through with a coolant speed flush.

TimV

Is there an engine drain plug?

Dazzerpig

hi there,i did think off that, i should also add that normal running about at 30-40 mph it sits happily just above normal and my aux gauge reads  around 80 degs but put my foot down and hit 50 mph it will rise to 98 deg and just tad short off the red on standard gauge and drops back down when i slow up?.

TimV

I am not familiar with that engine, but it sounds like the block is still holding fluid. You need to find that drain plug - if fitted.

As said above, I've seen a clogged system where different types of anti freeze have been mixed together - not a pretty sight and definitely clogged up.

Birdsnest55

Do you have the correct temp sender? It needs to match the gauge? I had issues with a later sender and early gauge in the past. Measure the temperature with an infra red thermometer to see what the temperature really is, Witsend as a picture of expected readings.
Also what thermostat is fitted? Is it working.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Dazzerpig

yes, fitted with a Steve Parker adaptor kit, just flushing rad and engine so will see if theres any improvement ,thanks all.

Alan Drover

The 2.5 petrol engine has a drain bolt just under the manifolds (I miss the 2.25 drain tap) so I presume that the 2.5 diesel has one in the same place.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

Always worth fitting the correct part.
The thread size, IIRC is 1/4" BSP.
All the tractor part suppliers on eBay have them for a couple of £s.

:RHD

Dazzerpig

thanks Alan and Wittsend,will have a look when i get daylight again and look at getting a drain tap.

Alan Drover

Wouldn't the 2.5 engines have a metric thread on the drain bolt?
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Dazzerpig

hope not, ordered a drain plug last night, and to update,top and bottom hoses off,thermostat removed, drain plug found,bit off dirty water poured out, no sluge,hose pipe in top hose then bottom then drain hole, swapping alternatively till it all ran clear, run out off daylight so will fit new thermostat gaskets tommorow and put it all back together and fill up coolant ready for a visit to The Grand Henham Steam Rally on sunday,thanks all for your help.

Old Hywel

Now the drain plug is out, a good poke around inside the block with a length of stiff wire may help dislodge any sediment.
If it's a significant amount, further dismantling may be necessary to access the rest of the water galleries.

TimV

Also, before putting the antifreeze in - drop a couple of dishwasher tablets in, run it properly to temperature. May help dislodge any muck.