News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Vehicle tracker with GPS

Started by Landy Landy, Sep 26, 2023, 07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landy Landy

Hi, has anyone got a tracker fitted on their series 1/2/3, to show the location and vehicle movement to your mobile phone?

If so, has it caused any issues with failing to connect to gps?

Which tracker is it and how many aerials are fitted to pick up the satellite?

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Wittsend

I use an Apple AirTag which connects to my iPhone  :gold-cup

Works a treat - yet to be fully tested when/if my car is stolen  :confused

...and only £35 a throw.

:RHD

diffwhine

The trouble with that Wittsend is that if your low life car thief has an iPhone, it will warn them that there is an unconnected AirTag in the immediate vicinity. They will know to look for it! Its a protection to try to stop people using them to stalk people.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Space-Kook

I've got the trutrak 4g device, it's about £4ish a month and had no problems so far. Signal is 60%, same as my mobile in this area, and extremely accurate.
It's not got anything special, just a small wallet-sized box that I've taped to the underside of a panel.Very discrete, if I hadn't written this reply on the forum no one would ever know it's there.
https://www.trutrak.co.uk/product-page/trutrak-fmc225-4g-gps-tracker-payg

Crucially it doesn't require being near any other bluetooth devices so (hopefully) I'll still find it if it's ditched in the woods.

It sends emails and notifications to my phone when the battery is disconnected or it leaves designated areas.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Kaney

Look into skytag I don't want to say too much but the 12.99 monthly subscription is really good

ChrisJC

Also check out this one.
https://www.bulldogtracking.co.uk/trackers_tr36.html
It can be used as an immobiliser and tracker, all in one.

One difficulty is making sure that the antenna has a good view of the sky, which is quite hard in something like a Landie as the windscreen is nearly vertical. And the antenna's don't work through metal.

Chris.

S2A V8

I am in the process of fitting one of these, it has the ability for remote immobilization.

https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/db1-gps-tracker-telematics-device

Crumbly65

Quote from: Wittsend on Sep 26, 2023, 07:13 PMI use an Apple AirTag which connects to my iPhone  :gold-cup

Works a treat - yet to be fully tested when/if my car is stolen  :confused

...and only £35 a throw.

I'm the same as Wittie. For £35.00 it's a pretty good simple deterrent.  Yes - a dedicated iPhone
owning low life might find it, either before or after overcoming my 'ardcase pedal lock, but the Apple AirTag has worked for me so far - and worked well.
So simple, relatively cheap, and like most Apple stuff - just works......

:RHD

Oddjob

Quote from: diffwhine on Sep 26, 2023, 07:21 PMThe trouble with that Wittsend is that if your low life car thief has an iPhone, it will warn them that there is an unconnected AirTag in the immediate vicinity. They will know to look for it! Its a protection to try to stop people using them to stalk people.

If you look on Youtube there are tutorials showing how to remove the sounder from an Airtag. The thief will know it exists but will have a much harder time trying to find it. (Anyone finding an airtag can make it beep to help locate it)

Wittsend

The fact is, if someone has their eyes on your vehicle/property they will take it no matter what security measures you have taken. It just takes a few minutes to put the vehicle in a shipping container, put it in a tunnel, cave, under ground. Only takes a few hours to strip something down to parts.

No matter what device you come up with the bad guys will know a way round it  :shakinghead

:snowman

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I'm afraid all the suggestions to date are somewhat amateur thus listen up.

My son has his motorcycle stolen on a weekly basis. six times to date. Usually for use in 'county-lines' - don't ask. I assure you he and his friends have become extreme professionals in recovery. With no theft insurance on a motorcycle at their age, and v.low incomes - usually students / nil hours contracts and minimum wage - they have to be. And they can't afford to throw money at the sort of stuff mentioned here with subscriptions and gay abandon. They club together and chase one of their number's bolide at regular interval. What they use has to be cheap and work.

This is where my son is this morning....

NoBeardNoTopKnot

They use this....

It's cheap (under £30) and 1p mobile. They're all on one account thus they all know where each has his bike. When the bike moves, they're connected. They  descend in minutes, often 4-5 blokes on one scrote. If drug-related even the knife-brandishing scum won't take on a 10-12 crash-helmeted crowd. They get their bikes back.

Run a motorcycle and it WILL be stolen. Often.

The device is hidden and looks like a relay. It gives you Sinotrack. A free app on your phone or laptop to track where your 'relay' is, and a log for  where it's been for the last 2-3 years with 30 sec updates.

https://www.sinotrack.com/

Under £30 for the 'relay'. Under £20-30 a year upkeep. (1p mobile)

And  local plod love 'em. Why, because they often get a 'nick', and bike theft is not something they have much power to deal with. And it'll often be 'drug-related'. They like that too.

Uffddd

A tracker disguised as a relay is an excellent idea.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

It gets hidden anyway. Most are too dim to look, those that do - those scrotes are forced to either find it, or forced to move it, and find it later. This rarely can happen quick enough for the whole thing to explode in their face, hence - so far- the 100% recovery rate. There's been some 15-20 recovers.

The bulk don't know to look hence are 'banged' in minutes.

Uffddd

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Sep 27, 2023, 12:16 PMIt gets hidden anyway. Most are too dim to look, those that do - those scrotes are forced to either find it, or forced to move it, and find it later. This rarely can happen quick enough for the whole thing to explode in their face, hence - so far- the 100% recovery rate. There's been some 15-20 recovers.

The bulk don't know to look hence are 'banged' in minutes.

That's the thing, even if you do look you don't necessarily know what you're unplugging. And it looks like it can be rigged so that just pulling the cables can immobilise the vehicle too. Double bonus.