News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

2B paint colour

Started by Hazbean, Aug 31, 2023, 08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazbean

Just looking closely at the photos it seems to be wearing the same tyres.
The rear body has the drop sides and not like the pictures but what a coincidence being the same vehicle.
I would love to know more history about it.

GHOBHW

Quote from: Hazbean on Aug 31, 2023, 08:37 PMJust looking closely at the photos it seems to be wearing the same tyres.
The rear body has the drop sides and not like the pictures but what a coincidence being the same vehicle.

if you use facebook, join the Post Office Vehicle Club, they have all the old records and will know where it served and when it got sold off etc
maybe even more photos of it.

if not, I can ask there if you'd like.

https://www.britishtelephones.com/vehicles/hoists/002.htm

Hazbean

Quote from: GHOBHW on Aug 31, 2023, 08:39 PM
Quote from: Hazbean on Aug 31, 2023, 08:37 PMJust looking closely at the photos it seems to be wearing the same tyres.

if you use facebook, join the Post Office Vehicle Club, they have all the old records and will know where it served and when it got sold off etc
maybe even more photos of it.

if not, I can ask there if you'd like.

https://www.britishtelephones.com/vehicles/hoists/002.htm
I would really appreciate your help as I don't do Facebook.

GHOBHW

I made a post, might take a day or two for the replies to come in, but I'll post here or in PM if you'd like once they do :cheers-man

GHOBHW what a great site that is you posted the non fb link too.

Plenty to look at some familiar some surprises.

Never knew they had artics, tracked land rover, and county tractors.  The electric vehicle from 1973 too.

Did they ever take the 4x4 sherpa, if not do you know any utilities that did?

There seem to be mixed opinion of where the 4x4 sherpa running gear came from.

Some say its land rover and bl parts bin.

Other say it is totally unique to that vehicle, blowing masses of money in the process, like the stag developing its own v8 rather than use the rover/buick unit.

GHOBHW

Quote from: 2286 on Sep 01, 2023, 11:26 AMGHOBHW what a great site that is you posted the non fb link too.

Plenty to look at some familiar some surprises.

Never knew they had artics, tracked land rover, and county tractors.  The electric vehicle from 1973 too.

Did they ever take the 4x4 sherpa, if not do you know any utilities that did?

There seem to be mixed opinion of where the 4x4 sherpa running gear came from.

Some say its land rover and bl parts bin.

Other say it is totally unique to that vehicle, blowing masses of money in the process, like the stag developing its own v8 rather than use the rover/buick unit.

I'm not quite sure on the range of vehicles, my interest is mainly land rovers, only because I ended up with an EX GPO station wagon :cheers-man

but yes they had quite a ton of wacky vehicles, even the tracked land rovers, snow cats, even artic land rovers...

its a great website for information and just browsing on :RHD 

GHOBHW

here are some of the special ones.

still awaiting replies about the original topic at the moment from the club.

though I got told some special order vehicles got sent in grey primer, until all the fitment was finished, then painted.

so that may explain the other colour.

Hazbean

Mine has a creamy/yellow primer under the grey.
Looking forward to reading more info on SYF99F.

Hazbean

This colour

GHOBHW

Quote from: Hazbean on Sep 01, 2023, 09:43 PMThis colour

hmm, never seen that colour, I know the aluminium sometimes looks yellowish from whatever they dipped it in

still awaiting answers, the usual guy who has all the info hasn't been around yet, so heres still hoping.

Hazbean

Sorry to dig up this post but I'm trying to find more information about this Land Rover such as build date, engine spec etc. the registration number is SYF 99F.
Thanks.

Alan Drover

The British Heritage Museum at Gaydon should have the details if you contact them giving the chassis number.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

22900013A

You could get a heritage certificate from BMIHT at Gaydon which will give you the build colour, date, and destination dealer.
It would have had the 2.6 IOE six cylinder engine, ENV axles and 9.00x16 tyres with a lower geared transfer box compared to a standard land rover.
Yours may well have been supplied in the standard land rover mid grey, before being painted by GPO after the cherrypicker conversion. I do remember seeing the build book listing loads built in yellow though. The conversion would not have been done by land rover but by Simon or Spencer depending on who built the cherrypicker unit.

autorover1

The 2B I had, which was a Merriweather conversion started life in Mid Grey and then over painted Red 

Hazbean

Thanks for the info, I'll do some research now.