News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

plastic inner mud shields?

Started by Jeff, Nov 29, 2023, 03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Most moder cars, even older Defenders have plastic inner mud shields so I was wondering if anyone has come up with them to fit the Series 2.
It just seems to me that things like electricals are exposed to the elements having just had to replace a perished bulb holder causing indicator to fail.

Apologies if this has been covered before.
Jeff

1971 Series 2a
ex Defender Td5
Ex Defender 300 Tdi
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex 1969 Series 2a

ZebraDriver

Don't know if it helps but in my younger days I had an old Range Rover. The inner wings rotted out (as they all did) As I couldn't afford new inner wings (a pair cost about 50% of what I paid for the vehicle) I chopped out all the rust and ran a piece of box section from the bulkhead to the plate that carried the lights. New inner wings were attached to this box section. They were made from an artic trailer mudguard split into two parts (lengthways), perhaps the same thing could be adopted to add an inner wing to a series LR?

Old Hywel

I've found several uses for used 200 litre barrels. Cut out sections have made robust mudguards on several trailers. Worth a try?

S2A V8

Have a search for plastic trailer mudgaurds, they come in several sizes and shapes maybe could be adapted to fit.

Jeff

Thanks chaps! all good ideas.  Just surprised that none of the aftermarket suppliers have not come up with a tailored product to suit the Series vehicles.
Jeff

1971 Series 2a
ex Defender Td5
Ex Defender 300 Tdi
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex 1969 Series 2a

I have seen old truck mudguards and disguarded conveyor belt used.

It sounds daft, but if you have non fitted and take it out and get it filthy then you will know where to safeguard.

Be aware of which way seams and joints lap so you dont ad water traps.

There are many different designs of truck mud flap materials that can be cut to size for smaller vehicles.  They control and direct spray and muck, I have used ABAL with good success.

Read this link for the tech etc

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0513641A1/en

Genocache

If you are talking the mudguard and not the inner wing, you can make them out of aluminum.  :teacher  The key to having them not rust out or rust out the footwell is to add some plastic/nylon spacers to the bottom fittings. I used 3/4" OD x 1/4"ID x 3/4"L nylon for mine and stainless 1/4" fittings.
    Where I live the redwood trees drop a lot of large duff and a large gap is needed at the bottom for it to drop out. That lack of a gap by LR is the cause of dirt to build up and stay wet and rust out the footwells.

Spot on, regarding isolating material types and leaving gaps that do not keep surfaces wet.

I used roofing washers

See link

https://www.roofgiant.com/nuts-bolts-washers/m8-black-plastic-rfg-washers-100/