News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Throttle linkage

Started by Bigdog, Sep 19, 2023, 05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Trying to set up my throttle linkage as I have changed from diesel and back to original petrol one, does this look correct and can you get another smaller link bar as this one seems too long or maybe I am not installing it correctly, thanks

Alan Drover

The arm on the cross shaft should be angled at about 45 degrees upwards. It looks to me that's why the rod is too long. It's trial and error after that as I found out when I eliminated all the free play from my linkage.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bigdog

Thanks Alan, what about the spare linkage piece in the second picture does that also go to the other side to connect to somewhere, also I assume I might need a longer choke cable to suit the petrol

Alan Drover

The cross shaft arm in the 2nd picture should be angled about the same as the carburettor one. The spare arm is likely to be for a hand throttle as they were usually fitted to diesels. I've got one on my petrol engine Land Rover.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

RobS

This is the position of mine (drivers side), the spring is under tension when in the closed position.

The other side looks like this, I'm linked to a SU but the principal is the same:

JonB

You want to start with the accelerator Shaft, check that the arm on the end of this shaft is against the bracket (where the spring hooks in). Then loosen and set the accelerator pedal to a comfy height on the shaft.

With these set the next arm to tighten is on the drivers side of the shaft across the bulkhead. Its position will be determined by the rod between the two shafts, with the spring now pulling on the top arm and holding the pedal up.

Check the carb throttle arm is closed against its stop screw and that there is a small gap between the 'plates' at the relay on the inner wing. Attach your rod to the relay arm and then adjust the cross shaft arm to fit the rod.

Check that the pedal moves enough to give you full throttle travel. Not sure about a zenith, but with a solex I need the pedal stop bolt in the floor to restrict the pedal at WOT or it strains the linkage and may move the arms on the shafts.

If you need some lengths for the rods and arms I can check tomorrow

Jon

Alan Drover

I posted the rod lengths somewhere but it may have been on the old forum.
Edit. It's not on the new forum so it's somewhere on the old. It's quicker to measure the rods.
"Ça plane pour moi!"