News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Odd S3 grill - what am I looking at?

Started by NoBeardNoTopKnot, Mar 15, 2024, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Mar 17, 2024, 08:29 AMAround 1998 I think. Certainly the last regular calls from a red box were in 1997, but I got my first mobile in '98 and that changed everything.

Shush, think tourist cash.  Your Loch Ness hotelier will tell you he last met the monster at the chip-shop.

Elvis is Alive. 

It so happens I made a call from a  red box last  month, I got wind it was being converted to a defib-booth. Got my teenage son in on it, else he never will.

Exile

This one landed in my garden from outer space, when I rang the Doctor...

Looks like it had had a rough journey.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

In my mind a national icon. At the bottom of your garden is better than gone completely. Shame they can't stay on every street corner, sadly they cost too much to leave be.

Only, what is it with knocking our country and our soft-power? Those that do this tend to be the same crowd as complain about 'this or that' service-cut. How can they fail to see the link?

Beowulf

Quote from: Alan Drover on Mar 16, 2024, 07:36 AMIs the rumour true that Australians didn't like the plastic grill because it couldn't be used for barbecuing?
Wasn't it more general than that? I`ve often heard it said & read, that the new plastic grill wasn't liked by many of the then current owners. Personally, its the kind of cheap & nasty thing (no offence intended to those who love them) I associate with cheap & nasty euro boxes, and certainly not a rugged LR, it just doesn't go with the image. And didn't it coincide with the change from the centre metal dash panel to the plastic panel in front of the driver?
Manufacturing costs would have lead Land Rover to fit plastic grills, being so much easier to press them out in their thousands.
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

22900013A

You are correct the ABS grille did come in at the same time as the handed vinyl dash, as both are uniquely series 3 features.