News:

Typical Bank Holiday weather ... 

Main Menu

Just a thought or two on electric cars

Started by Ken, Dec 04, 2023, 05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beowulf

Quote from: Wittsend on Jan 09, 2024, 02:17 PM....My car came without a spare - just a small compressor and a can of goop  :shakinghead

I stand ready to be corrected, but isn`t using that `goop` just a get-you-home short term fix and thereafter the tyre is only fit for the tip  ???
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Craig T

It can be cleaned out but most tyre places are not prepared to spend the time doing this for you, it's a dirty, sticky, messy job.
If you got the tyre taken off the rim, you took it all away and cleaned it yourself, washed and let it dry again then took it back for repair, no reason they should refuse to repair it.

The sealer will only repair standard punctures off course, it won't save you against a large hole, broken valve stem or a blow out.

I use tubeless tyres and sealer in my push bike. The sealer is a thin, white latex solution and you inflate the tyre onto the rim then let it down again, remove the Presta valve core, add a few small cups of sealer to the tyre and inflate it again. Against small thorns which are usually the culprits to spoil a good ride, it works very well, haven't had a puncture in 10 years now and the tyres are not insignificant in size, very low pressure though.

Craig.

Theshed

Quote from: Beowulf on Jan 09, 2024, 03:44 PM
Quote from: Wittsend on Jan 09, 2024, 02:17 PM....My car came without a spare - just a small compressor and a can of goop  :shakinghead

I stand ready to be corrected, but isn`t using that `goop` just a get-you-home short term fix and thereafter the tyre is only fit for the tip  ???

Yes, that's all it really good for. Car manufacturers and of course salesmen will try and convince you otherwise, but not recommended for extended use. Much like the space saver, which is more of a weight saver as generally the wheel well is a set size.
First choice would of course be a proper spare, but a spacesaver trumps pump and goo any day.

w3526602

Hi,

I thought that "gloop" would be the answer, but absolutely nothing (Tools, handbook, etc) came with the car. Maybe that was because it was a demonstrator, so all the junk had been cleaned out ... maybe Xmas prezzies for other "staff" cars. Oh well, it's going back to the main dealer we bought it from. They have done all the servicing, and MOTs.

Next problem is that I cannot find the V5. Did I ever receive one? I wonder if the car is even registered in my name. That's not a financial problem. A new V5 will be a REPLACEMENT, issued FREE, as they have to issue a new one anyway, as there has been a change of KEEPER. A REGISTERED KEEPER, asking for an exact DUPLICATE, because he has lost the V5 issued to him, will have to pay for it.

The same applies if the Registered Keeper is notifying DVL of any other changes that DVL DEMAND be notified to them ... Change of Address, Colour, or what have you.

I once drove a main dealer's demonstrator. I had obviously been used as the office "hack". Ash trays were brimming, and it stank of stale tobacco, dirty inside and out, full of junk. We didn't buy.

dartymoor

Quote from: Worf on Jan 09, 2024, 10:48 AMEV's are already banned from some Scandinavian ferries due to fire risks.

It's an interesting thing, this. 9/10 new cars sold in Norway are electric (they seem to have no problem with electric cars in the cold) - and yes, at least one Norwegian ferry company banned EVs last year [Source](https://ctif.org/news/norwegian-shipping-company-bans-electric-cars-board-classic-ferry-route)

So... How will Norwegians travel over water in the near future?

Perhaps the ferries will adapt and have a special platform at one end, where they can pull a pin and dump any car into the sea at the slightest hint of smoke...

Ian F

BBC News - Wimbledon: Electric double-decker bus catches fire during London rush hour
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67943798

Ian F

Wittsend

Not good is it ???

For sure diesel buses may have caught fire, but it's the intensity and almost impossible to extinguish the fire that's the problem with these EV battery packs  :shakinghead

Should never have got rid of the trams (or trolley buses).

I understand the average speed/progress across central London is less than 10 mph - one of the slowest capitals in the world.
Horse & carts were/are faster ???

Worf

"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."