News:

Typical Bank Holiday weather ... 

Main Menu

URGENT ... When does my insurance expire?

Started by w3526602, Dec 25, 2023, 04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3526602

Hi,

You already know that I have a new battery powered car on order. In fact I expected it to have been delivered by this time. Important, as I think my current insurance is due to expire imminently, but not sure when. Google tells me that it IS insured, but no mention of for how long.

Christmas is already upon us, which probably means a few days before business get back on track .... closely followed by the New Year.

I don't want to be left without insurance on ANY car, for several days.

Suggestions on the back of a fag packet, please.

Birdsnest55

1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

w3526602

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it only tells me that ....

YES. This vehicle is showing as INSURED on the Motor Insurance Database today

I will have to assume that any/every policy expires at midnight, so should do that check each day, before dawn.

There is something in my dim and distant recesses, that a policy remains in force for several (7? 14?) days beyond it's expiry date PROVIDED the required premium is paid during that time. Memory suggest this was printed on the back of the Certificate of Insurance.

From one's hospital bed?

Anybody?

Birdsnest55

John, you can ring them tomorrow, normal working again.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Wittsend

Yes, just phone them tomorrow and at the same time ask for quote on your new car. If acceptable say they can transfer the cover to your new car on a day and at a time of your choosing.

Job done ....

:snowman

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

w3526602

Hi Paul,

Yeah! I'll phone tomorrow, but Sod's Law will declare that several million people will be phoning too.

To be honest, I was hoping that insurers ran a similar service to the "inefficient" DVLA. I understood, albeit many years ago, that you could not tax a car beyond the expiry date of your insurance, but I've never put it to the test.

PS. I've been overtaken by a couple more replies. while keying. My thanks for everybody's interest.

Alan Drover

I'll be taxing my Land Rover from 1/4/24 for 12 months. My insurance expires midnight 13/10/24. Never had any trouble in the past. It's insured at the time of taxing it and that's all that matters, same with the MOT.
Provided the insurance has been paid before the expiry date then you're insured even if you haven't received the certificate.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"