News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Driving licence renewal.

Started by grandadrob, Jan 27, 2024, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandadrob

I've just received the forms to renew my licence, at 75.  When it was renewed at 70, I lost those extras, like trailer and extra weights.  I didn't realise you had to apply. Consequently,  I had to go through the preceedure of forms and medicals to get it back.
I can't see anywhere on the renewal form, any mention of this.
Does anyone know if I will lose these categories again. I think it's the C section ones.

Peter Holden

I thought it was every 3 years after 70 and I renewed mine last year at 73 and yes I lost all the extras as I was 70 during COVID

Peter

autorover1

I renewed mine last year at 76 and kept my D1 & C1 entitlement. Needed the paper medical ( form D4) completing again etc. & send off the paper application in the post. I think the paper pack you need is D2 . As I have a eyesight condition I have to have the DVLA eye test as well. Ludlow Specsavers did that.

Peter Holden

As there were enough difficulties renewing mine at 70 including getting my MP involved due to some difficulties at the DVLA end I  decided not to complicate things as I  can live without C1 and D1.   I suppose I could always get them reinstated if I could be bothered

Peter

Alan Drover

I was never bothered about losing C1 & D 1 categories. I can still tow the maximum permitted on a B licence (offhand I can't remember what it is) and I still have an A licence for all motorcycle categories.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Jeff

I thought it was because we renewed on line, to keep those classes you had to renew by post.
Jeff

1971 Series 2a
ex Defender Td5
Ex Defender 300 Tdi
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex 1969 Series 2a

Peter Holden

That was the poit, during COVID only "professional" drivers could renew by post but even online it took 8 months and the intervention of my MP who is the Speaker of the House before anything happened.  Interestingly he copied me into his communication with the head of DVLA and my licence appeared in less than a week from his communication

Peter

w3526602

as I  can live without C1 and D1.   I suppose I could always get them reinstated if I could be bothered

Hi Peter,

I suspect (no more than that) that if you let those groups lapse for more than 10 years, you will lose them.

It was definitely the case with paper licences.

The early DVLC licences had driver numbers that started with a digit between O and 9 after which they started again.

DOH! My ladies demand my presence. I will return in about 20 minutes.

Alan Drover

Groups of vehicles that you were permitted to drive lapsed when the age of 70 was reached. I lost C1 & D1 which didn't bother me but I made sure I retained group A, motorcycles, having read that many found that group was not on their licence and found out they'd have to take the full motorcycle test to get it back if an appeal wasn't lodged immediately.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

grandadrob

If I want to keep them, as Autorover said I have to fill in the forms. Then get the medical form done. Last time I used D4Drivers. They have loads of centres and charge £55 .

w3526602

having read that many found that group was not on their licence and found out they'd have to take the full motorcycle test to get it back

Hi,

There in nothing in my memory banks, from my days at the "Giant Cheese Grater", about automatic loss of motor cycle entitlement at age 70 ... but I do not have any authority to comment either way.

IF it happened to me, I would ask "somebody" how such a decision was made, and would they please point me to the relevant legislation.

GlenAnderson

I have just renewed my C+E/D+E license. Medical cost me £55. New photo another £5. Got to renew my CPC before the end of September next.