It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

UNFIT FOR PURPOSE (I mean me)

Started by w3526602, Jan 26, 2024, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3526602

Hi,

My new Hyundai Kona arrived yesterday.

I have no very little idea about how to drive it, not intuitive, so I asked Barbara to phone the dealer to tell them to take it away.

It seems all the Land Rover electric models, new, are outside my comfort zone.

Time to kick Wilkie.

Phil2014

I would just take a bit of time to familiarise yourself with it, if you can get someone from the dealer to show you again, and then drive it while they are with you, if you are used to an automatic, they aren't hugely different to drive, just pretend you still have an engine.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

Phil2014

From my very limited experience of EV's, you would put your foot on the brake, press the start stop button, at this point you pretend your engine is running and in neutral, foot still on the brake, shift the selector (it might be a knob or dial or joystick type thing) into Drive, release the brake and accelerate gently, all your indicators headlights etc should be similar to what you are used to.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

DogDave

Really an EV should be much simpler to drive than a Land Rover. A go faster pedal and a stop pedal. Thats about it.

Imagine you are on the dodgems at the fair and all you have is a pedal and a steering wheel and you shouldn't be far away

Seriously though, If you can manage a Land Rover where you actually have to drive it I'm sure you could manage a EV where everything has been designed to need as little input from the driver as possible. It won't be as fun to drive but it will be much easier. They are not "drivers cars" but more apppliances to get from a to b so more like getting used to a new microwave or washing machine. Just takes a few goes to learn the settings and you'll be away with it.

w3526602

Hi,

My problem is actually making it move.

I asked the bloke from the main dealer if anybody else had my problems.

He thought for a few seconds, then replied "Almost exactly, er, none.

I told Barbara to phone the dealers and tell them to cancel the deal, hoping that would encourage some action. We have no payment in the four (?) days we've owned it, and I'm happy for the return of my own car, or better still, it's £7,000 trade in value.
It was only today that I learned Barbara had already paid the balance, ignoring me saying that was not a good idea, as the deal was for 0% interest over three years.

On the other hand, I'd like the car, IF I could get my head around why I can't make it move. Try again tomorrow.

Richard

Would this video on starting and driving the Kona on Youtube help?

Richard
'64 S2a

Richard

Or this one? Or this one on every button in the Kona, if you don't mind ze German aczent...

Richard
'64 S2a

w3526602

Hi Richard x 2.

Thanks for that/those. I will look at it/them at a more sensible hour.

w3526602

Hi,

Sort of sorted! I had to go fetch my daughter, managed to get it into GO mood ... stop and start and reverse ... not quite intuitive yet. I hit the loud pedal and got a comment about it breaking her neck. It doesn't "waft" on the over-run, I have to keep the pedal at the appropriate setting for the speed I'm cruising at.

It nags if I'm even slightly exceeding the posted speed limit.

But YEAH! I'm starting to like it.  Now, where do I find these dragons and Lancers, as seen on TV?

Oh yes! The mirrors "fold in" when in reverse, which makes reversing down the drive more interesting. But partly compensated by the TV screen on the dash giving a moving picture of what lies behind.

The index in the handbook expects me to be specific about what I want to know.

Gareth

Battery regeneration on overrun is what your accelerator is doing. It's very good once you're used to it.

You will find the brakes hardly get used when you master the throttle pedal.

Wittsend

QuoteThe index in the handbook expects me to be specific about what I want to know.

:coffee
Sit down ... and read the handbook through, cover-2-cover - twice  :coffee

w3526602

You will find the brakes hardly get used when you master the throttle pedal.

Hi Gareth,

Agreed!  Are we nearly there, yet?

Sit down ... and read the handbook through, cover-2-cover - twice 

Hmmm!  That sounds like "World Domination"! But seriously, It's not the easiest read in my library. And anyway, my teachers described me as "Unteachable".  Barbara just calls it "A Man Thing".

PS. While I'm in "Pedantic Mood", there is something in my mind about the use of an apostrophy in "its"

Richard

Quote from: w3526602 on Jan 27, 2024, 03:56 PM"A Man Thing"
Men push buttons, than read the manual, if they can find it...
Richard
'64 S2a

diffwhine

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. I've worked in the motor trade for over 30 years. Never have I seen a situation where the sales agent has not bothered to do a proper handover, explanation of controls, how things work, etc. What is going on here? If what you are saying is correct 602, then it's a shocking failure on behalf of your dealer.
They are without doubt shirking on their sales support. If in doubt get the manufacturer's importer on the case, but you should not have been provided with a car without a proper handover.

Or did you refuse a proper handover? Was one offered?

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

w3526602

Hi,

Thanks for response, advice, etc.

The "hand over" consisted of a drive round the (my) block.

Readers may remember that my previous Hyundai required a new clutch after 13,000 miles, only a few miles after a "big" service. Not a warranty job. During a previous service   .... "Doh! Our ladies have arrived ... and are demanding my presence in the shower. I will return.