News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

S2C Cutaway 2.25 Petrol Engine resurrection

Started by diffwhine, Jul 07, 2023, 09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

Thought I'd follow this up with a fresh post on the new forum.

Due to family issues, work issues and also having a lot of LRS2C Acting Chairman stuff on my plate, progress has been slower than expected. But - we are making progress.

The correct paint has been ordered from the LRSOC shop and we will get on with painting major components when that arrives.
The rocker cover, flywheel housing and several other bits are with club member JonB in Frome being either vapour blasted or powder coated. JonB has also had a good sump cleaned up and powder coated so the old dented wreck can now be scrapped. He has also donated a cracked but usable swan neck manifold, an early thermostat housing and some other useful bits.
Other members have donated other parts. We have a new set of Lodge spark plugs, an acorn type distributor cap and several other bits (I can't remember it all immediately, but will credit all in due course).
This weekend the block goes on a stand so it can be cleaned up and painted.

Photos to follow when we have some of the shiny stuff back from JonB.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

Mark, it you are still short of stuff and anyone who is going to the rally can donate we can organise a relay

Peter

diffwhine

Thanks Peter,
I should have a clearer idea over the next few days. I think we now have all the main bits - its just small bits now that I've got to identify. Will put a shout out when I know more.

JonB

Planning a on day next week for the vapour blasting so I'll post some pics when it's all shiny 😇

Jon

diffwhine

Thanks Jon!

For now, a new list of bits I'm on the hunt for please:
  • Oil Feed Banjo Bolts x2 p/n 504840
  • Engine block mount bracket bolts x 4 p/n 255085
  • Long thermostat housing bolts x 3 p/n 256209
  • Inlet to exhaust manifold gasket x 1 p/n 247824
  • Manifold fixings, studs and clamps
  • Otter Switch – somebody must have a duff one!
  • Distributor drive assembly and bush as per item numbers 21 to 26 in the image below.
  • We are very short of general engine UNF fixings. If anybody has a drawer full of spares I can rob, please let me know. I have no front cover bolts, no water pump bolts, no sump bolts for example. OK for head bolts and rocker shaft bolts.
If anybody might be able to donate any paint, brushes or Owatrol Oil, I'd be grateful – anything to keep my costs down. I need black enamel / Smoothrite gloss paint, a small amount of bright red paint to detail the cutaway sections and some brushes – probably 1 1/12" for the block painting and some fine brushes for the detailing.

Thank you!  :cheers

JonB

Should I just give you my spare engine 😇

I should be able to sort out most of the bolts for the timing cover, sump,  thermostat, etc and have the banjo bolts, a duff otter switch and some manifold studs and fittings.

I'll go through the spares boxes tomorrow and make a list.

Jon

diffwhine

JonB

DW,

I have:

2x banjo bolts
3x thermostat housing bolts
9x long and 3x shorter bolts for timing cover
22x sump bolts
2x manifold clamps
Otter switch
Drain plug for the sump

I have some studs, but need to identify them.

What are the plans on finish for the fasteners?

Jon

diffwhine

Thanks Jon,
This is great. I think it will cover off most things.

Finish... Anybody know what they would have been? I think sherardizing may be a bridge too far. I was going to zinc plate a lot of this sort of stuff, but appear to have an alien life form in my plating tank. I need to dump it and start again.

Sherardizing would be nice, but is it realistic or historically accurate?

Calum

I would think the fixings on an engine were just blacked originally.

There seems to be a fascination with sherardised fasteners in that once people know Land Rover used them in the construction of their vehicles they then think that every single fastener should be sherardised, even on bought-in components and I highly doubt this would be the case (especially on components that were assembled and then painted as a complete unit).

I would think only the unpainted fasteners used in assembly (mainly bodywork) were sherardised but this is from an experience of working in a practical industrial/manufacturing point of view rather than historic Rover knowledge.

autorover1

I think one need to be conscious of the fact Rover did not paint  engines after assembly , not as BMC did. So any fixings will be visible in there original state . I have never found what what the coating was.  A lot had a sort of green hue which I believe was a proprietary coating  which may have disappeared under BL for either cost or legislative reasons and ended up as zinc passivated 

JonB

From stripping mine I believe the engine and 'box fasteners were parkerised, which is phospating and has a brownish finish. It was used heavily on classic Harley's, and it more expensive than other treatments.

DW, I'll wire wheel what I have here so they're ready for treatment. I've used a cold blacking kit which is easy, with good success, but I'm out of solution now. I guess the heads could be painted after assembly as they shouldn't be coming apart again?

diffwhine

I agree Jon,
At the end of the day, this is a working display unit which started life as a Rover exchange unit anyway. As long as it looks clean and smart, I don't see it being a problem just being cleaned up and then possibly given a coat of Owatrol oil.

Engine paint arrived this morning from the LRSOC shop. All credit to Russell - and impressive bit of packing!

diffwhine

Starting to make progress. Mainly removing paint from components which shouldn't have any paint on them. How somebody ended up getting paint on valve springs is anybody's guess. Even the Army rebuild workshops didn't get green inside the engine!

Next stage is to remove the green paint from the head to prepare it for going back to grey.

One more thing I'm on the hunt for. We have an early long time oil filter with a cutaway cover. I have most of the parts but I need a spring which goes on the big bolt that holds the filter cover to the housing. It holds the filter in place. I don;t have anything suitable. Anybody got something in a box of bits?

You cannot view this attachment.

JonB

DW,  looking good. I've got a spare filter bolt and spring you can have, and also a used but intact 8 hole pump gasket that you mentioned previously

Jon