What did you do with your Series 2 in September ...

Started by Wittsend, Sep 01, 2023, 08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

RATA1

Picked up a 1959 S2 engine.
Nice and securely strapped in for the journey :)
S2 88
D4 XXV

diffwhine

Minor observation, but you might find your oil filler pipe could give you problems... :tiphat  :neener

Seriously though, would you mind posting some images of it when offloaded? It might help with the S2C cutaway engine rebuild project.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

RATA1

Yes, lots of things loose. This fell out when I got it out the back...

What photos would you like? It needs a scrub and my engine stand will be here next week.
S2 88
D4 XXV

diffwhine

Is that rat poison?
Any photos would be great - especially round the front cover, pulleys - that sort of area.
Many thanks!

Larry S

Quote from: diffwhine on Sep 02, 2023, 07:17 PMIs that rat poison?
Any photos would be great - especially round the front cover, pulleys - that sort of area.
Many thanks!

Dang... rat poisoning is the first thing that came to my mind as well.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Richard

Took the wife, the dog and the Series in fine, sunny weather out to the Dutch Land Rover Sortout near Zeewolde (the red dot), where I met a few members of the Dutch S2C branch, gathered around two Series 2 Club beach flags. We exchanged tall stories of trips and repairs we made, top speeds our Land Rovers managed down hill on the aptly named Autoroute du Soleil towards Luik, in neutral of course, and horror stories on the dreaded RDW, the Dutch DVLA. Below a few pics to paint the picture.

Richard
'64 S2a

diffwhine

Jimbo

Finally strimmed around the Landy's resting place in the orchard.
Painted the fuel tank and whipped out the plugs and squirted some oil down the bores. Turns over lovely and smooth on the spanner.
Fuel tank, exhaust, water jacket wash and distributor clean up next weekend before a trial start......

Craig T

Took the Land Rover and the missus along to an event local to me called the Floral Fringe Fair. A very odd, quirky event that encourages dressing up and sells all kinds of things you never knew you really needed.
They also do reduced price entry for classic cars so win win.

Was fun.

Craig.

RATA1

Got the tracking done. Toe out 3mm I think he said it was. Sorted to toe-in at 1.2-2.5.
Brakes checked. OK. Sorted.

Nice chap said it sounded "off". Put the emissions probe in. Measured 0.6 CO2. Way too low/lean for my antique. He had a better ear than mine so set it up nicely. 3.5 is what it is now and sounds way better. He said that was about right..
Even better, all no charge. I take my Disco there and will buy them some doughnuts for their time.

Took it out for a lovely evening drive with my daughter.  Drove much better in terms of handling/steering and ticked over to 77,777 miles. First time, second time I don't know but likely the last time I see if again :(
S2 88
D4 XXV

Alan Drover

A weak mixture usually gives a high hydrocarbon reading. Whe mine was last tested for emissions it was 0.83% CO2 (4.5% max) and 200 hydrocarbons per whatever (1200m max). When I changed the plugs they were the correct colour. Nothing wrong here.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

RATA1

I was only looking at the low figure as he said it was too low (which I thought odd) and that was modern car territory. He wound out the mixture screw half a turn in total by the end.
My plugs are fine too but the mixture screw is only for idle I believe and I try not to do that a lot as means less driving time :)
It doesn't pop on the over-run at all now. Lovely. Best box of doughnuts I have spent in a while.
S2 88
D4 XXV

Peter Holden

Made a start on removing the differential drive member and the seal housing on the front of YOD.  Everything went swimingly including cleaning of all the old stale waxoyl that is mixed with mud.  Until that is I needed to remove one of the 7/16 bolts at the top of the carrier when I discovered that there isnt room to get a spanner on the bolt and turn it dues to the engine mounting and sump.  Much fiddling and cursing to get it undone.  I decided a crows foot spanner would be the anser but looking at what is avaolable they wont fit so I have bought a 7/16 open ended spanner and when it arrived I will modify it.

Can I ask a question though, the bols are quite awkward and have lock tabs which are difficult to see and the top ones difficult to access.  Could I replace the taps with either threadlock or spring washers or both?

Peter

Space-Kook

Had a crack at tidying the wiring and touching up some bits under the bonnet, also tried my hand at cleaning + refurbing the distributor.
Will roll the car into the garage tonight and tomorrow I'll learn how timing works!

My cold weather project arrived in the post today too, a cute 1/12 RC series 2. Planning to 3d print some new wings with lights and the correct grill to stick on the front.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT