News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Narrow track

Started by Bigdog, Sep 30, 2023, 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

Sorry for asking but I assume the sankey narrow track would be a better match for my 1970 series 2a 109 ex military, more period correct than a wide track, thanks

Wittsend

This is a case of what YOU want and how you are going to use your combo.

If you are an absolute Walt then the standard Sankey is the thing.

However, as we have said before -  the wide track Sankey is a little more practical as a jobbing trailer.

Only you can decide. It's your money, it's your vehicle.
The rivet police are not going to come knocking on your door.

:cool

Bloke

Quote from: Wittsend on Sep 30, 2023, 07:12 PMThis is a case of what YOU want and how you are going to use your combo.

If you are an absolute Walt then the standard Sankey is the thing.

However, as we have said before -  the wide track Sankey is a little more practical as a jobbing trailer.

Only you can decide. It's your money, it's your vehicle.
The rivet police are not going to come knocking on your door.

:cool

Sorry for being off-topic - I remember the term 'Walt' from my days on the EMLRA forum years and years ago. What does it mean?  ???
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

Wittsend

British army slang for Individuals who impersonate serving or retired members of the armed forces are known as "Walts" in the British Armed Forces, a shortened form of "Walter Mitty".

... and from Wikipedia:-
QuoteWalter Mitty is a fictional character in James Thurber's first short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", first published in The New Yorker on March 18, 1939, and in book form in My World—and Welcome to It in 1942. Thurber loosely based the character, a daydreamer, on himself.[1] It was made into a film in 1947 starring Danny Kaye, with a remake in 2013 directed by, and starring Ben Stiller.

Some really do live in their own little pretend world.

There is currently the case of a serving Chief Constable who is sporting a Falklands veterans medal, yet he was only 15 yrs old at the time of the war.
(in the news this week)

Nothing wrong with military re-enactments, but some take it too far  :shakinghead

w3526602

Hi,

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty?

I remember seeing that film, in a Croydon Cinema (when Croydon had cinemas), I'm guessing about 65+ years ago. (I think I'm now approaching my mid-80s).

It must have been about the same time that "me and a mate", in Air Cadet uniforms, were sitting in an Avro Anson, with by an Air Vice Marshal at the stick, standing on one wing, circling low over Sanderstead pond. The AVM had given us each on OS map, said he wanted to know where we were when we landed. Hmmm! We were expecting a couple of circuits of Kenley Aerodrome, then home for Sunday breakfast. The circuits of Sanderstead pond enabled us to get oriented, after which it was easy.

We landed a RAF Marham (near Kings Lynn) and were told to go and look at (clamber over) the aeroplanes. "DO NOT TOUCH THE EJECTOR SEATS!"

I think the AVM was visiting his WW2 "cronies" (probably AKA "The Few") for Sunday G&Ts, as we also dropped in at RAF Waddington and RAF Scampton).

I arrived home at tea time, where Mum demanded to know where I had been.
I replied "Lincoln", at which point she stopped asking. I think she had. by then, learned not to continue with losing battles. On another occasion, I answered "Middlesborough" to the same question, but that time I was away from Midday Saturday, till tea-time Sunday. I learned later that she had been seen going into Croydon Police Station.

November, blazer and flannels, no money. Hitched one 60 mile lift on a motorbike with only one pillion foot-rest. Probably not a good idea.

PS. Back on topic ... in one film scene, a German fighter pilot looked over his shoulder, shouted "Actung! Actung! Valter Mitty!" ... and baled out. Walter Mitty peeled a self-stick Swastika off a roll, and slapped it, with all the others, on the side of his Spitfire's cock-pit.