Series 2a with original engine or non standard - value v desirability

Started by lambretta, Oct 01, 2023, 07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lambretta

Hello all.

We finished the restoration of a 1964 88 inch 2a earlier this year here in Western Australia.  When purchased it had a Holden 202cu.inch (3.3ltr) straight six fitted and a 5 speed Nissan gear box and standard series transfer case.  It's all come up very nicely after a full nut and bolt restoration.

The modification done to the car required an engineers report which has been done, however, when inspected for registration the complication now is that the Dept of Transport say the engine fitted exceed 20% more power than original and so enhance safety equipment is needed, all complying to current design rules and include the following which don't exist in our car:-
  • Dual Circuit brakes
  • Seat belts
  • 2 speed windscreen wipers (with high speed no less than 45 Cycles per minute, can be single speed as well but minimum 45 CPM)
  • Windscreen washers
  • Windscreen demister

Needless to say, we have some work in front of us I think and not sure we could ever comply with the windscreen wiper side of thing given twin FW2's fitted.

We have 2 option it seems:-
  • Remove the old engine an gearbox, find an original, recondition that and refit.
  • Go through the rigmarole of complying with what is needed to get the car registered with the 202 engine.

Before we make a decision on which way to go, what is the opinion of you guys with a desirability and value point of view, would the car be worth more if put back to original or more with a stronger engine and 5 speed box?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Alan Drover

Which would be cheaper? How difficult is it to find a suitable engine and transmission?  The 2.5 petrol would be better as a Tdi will exceed the 20%  power excess. A 2.5 n/ a  diesel would be suitable but how difficult is it to source any. Originality is  obviously  better if possible.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Much depends on market values in your neck if the woods. Locally, a Holden lump is popular whereas here, it would be a millstone due to parts availability and technical know how.

Putting it back to standard and selling off the displaced parts would make most sense to me. At least then you can judge comparative values.

If you comply with the regs, this vehicle will end up extensively more modified and that can surely only further impact its value?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Old Hywel

Would restricting the power of the six cylinder be acceptable?
Land Rover did it with the V8 for some applications.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

That list looks not too easy, but mildly 'easier' and cheaper to do than putting back to stock. Engine-swaps, even back to stock  are never as cheap or quick as the wise arm-chair voices say they are. Unless it's a lash-up.

And whilst I'm not familiar with the Holden lump, it was put there for a reason? I suspect the reason was it's a jump up from stock. Unless there's a purist willing to pay the real cost of these works, and  I doubt this, go quickest and cheapest. Sort the list.

Heated-screens will work as a simple demister.
S3 brakes, and any old belts covers it. There's an Aussie outfit that does a disc-conversion, or was?
Cobble in the rest.

These are sensible mods anyway. Which is why they're in your regs. The price difference between a rivet-correct example and a decent clean bitsa is usually in the head of the purists, and not large enough in the market. Not large enough here, and certainly not large enough to make one into the other without going bust. I suspect it isn't in Aussie either.

And if as suggested, you can knobble  the power, better still.

whitehillbilly64

Go to West Oz Series on Face book.
Sure some members can give some local Advice.
We dont have the Issues you have here in NSW.

whitehillbilly

ChrisJC

Those changes seem trivial compared to the mods already undertaken!

And if it makes the vehicle more usable, why not keep it as-is. There's still a story there.

Chris.

lambretta

Morning all.  Some very good food for thought in all your replies.  Thank you.  Will ponder for a few days and then decide.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: ChrisJC on Oct 01, 2023, 09:30 PMThose changes seem trivial compared to the mods already undertaken!

And if it makes the vehicle more usable, why not keep it as-is. There's still a story there.

Chris.

Agreed. Or we could swap the engine, put it to rivet-original, spend another 2 years of this mortal coil doing it.  And pretend it's viable.

Hopeydaze

Late to this post. I think the list of modifications required is quite reasonable. I have 1,2,4 and 5 done to my "original" '64 88, originally sold in the US and. Is back home in England.
Adding Dual circuit brakes wasn't too expensive if I recall.
Delisted was a dealer fitted option!
1964 SWB SW. Sold by Land Rover New York, I purchased it in West Virginia, when I lived in the US, brought back to England in 2001

lambretta

Birdsnest55

1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.