News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Red wires galore!!

Started by Robin, Jul 11, 2023, 05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkhackney

My classic Swedish caravan is wired entirely in light grey, including the electric brakes, and there's no wiring diagram available. It had been hooked up "custom" to the towing socket by a previous owner and it drove me crazy finally getting it all straightened out (and a brake controller hooked up).

Now I know to look for stamped/engraved numbers in the insulation! I'll take a closer look next time I work on it.

Thanks!

Jeremy

ChiefBeard

Quote from: biloxi on Jul 12, 2023, 12:40 AMI use a drop of nail varnish of different colours to identify parts when dismantling and assembling. I've also got some panty hose,
(for straining) and a hair dryer....      ... Next on the list is a pair of high heeled shoes.
.W.
You think you've got 'issues', to water-proof shrink-wrap electrical jobs I've a large pot of Vaseline handy. Well, that's what I tell 'em.

Uffddd

Quote from: Davidss on Jul 12, 2023, 10:15 AM
Quote from: Craig T on Jul 12, 2023, 08:40 AM... Only issue is if you get a mid loom, intermittent fault which does happen. Tracing which wire is which when you are half the length of an aircraft away from the end can't be easy. ...
The professional way is to use two units. One injects a signal into the suspect wire, the other unit has a sensor and amplifier to convert the signal into a tone within the human audio range.
The sensor can be used in two ways, it can be laid alongside a section of loom, and the sensor tip can be touched against the suspect wire, without breaking the insulation.
The strength of signal varies, and therefore the loudness of the tone. It is the skill of the operator which determines if the suspect wire is close or far away.

It isn't difficult to acquire the skill, but it does help to be doing tracing repeatedly, rather than once in a blue moon. The tracing kit is an expense that has to be deemed worthwhile.

Regards.

Those cable chasing tools are invaluable. As long as you have an idea which bundle of wires a cable disappears into you'll find it easily.

simonbav

Those cable chasing tools are invaluable. As long as you have an idea which bundle of wires a cable disappears into you'll find it easily.
[/quote]

Like this, Uffddd? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391250343951?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=VjtkpFVBQfu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Fxm85MKLRNC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Serious Series

Quote from: Wittsend on Jul 11, 2023, 08:58 PMBack in 2010 at the Lakes rally quite few of us had a ride on Le Frog  :gold-cup
I remember that FWD control at Leafers at pit Wakefield too.

Uffddd

Quote from: simonbav on Nov 07, 2023, 11:05 PMLike this, Uffddd? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391250343951?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=VjtkpFVBQfu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Fxm85MKLRNC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Not quite. That looks like it's just really good for testing continuity.

This is the sort of thing, though quite an expensive one, they do come cheaper. The advantage is you only need one end of the wire, even one core is enough. The probe detects the electromagnetic signal generated and creates a tone that gets louder as you get closer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klein-Tools-Tracer-Cables-VDV500-820/dp/B07VYN98QV/ref=sr_1_5?crid=KEC4RU8FEGW2&keywords=cable%2Btracer&qid=1699441537&sprefix=cable%2Btracer%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.cc223b57-2b86-485c-a85e-6431c1f06c86&th=1

Beamont58

Who on earth wires up a vehicle with red wires only?! Fault finding must be a nightmare! :confused

Wittsend

I refer you back to my reply #4

:RHD