News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Which is best

Started by Bigdog, Oct 11, 2023, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3526602

Hi,

When I did my first new S1-88" chassis rebuild, many yonks ago, all that were available were S3 chassis. I bought mine from Marsland, with a couple of very minor mods. Everything fitted... apart from the bulkhead.

I cobbled an S1 look-a-like bulkhead from 50x50x3mm rolled square section and 3mm sheet. A Google for IMAGES OF LAND ROVER FEU254 might find it. It was bare aluminium when I sold it.

My second new chassis rebuild was also an S1 88", but the bulkhead was cobbled by the apprentices at the Ford Axle Plant in Port Talbot, from my drawings.

Domeheadrivet

I don't see it mentioned so far but, "Design Development Engineering" used to make a smart billet aluminium adaptor to allow defender mirrors to be fitted to a S2 door hinge.

It's not listed in their shop at the moment though.

https://littlegreenlandy.com/2021/05/09/defender-wing-mirror-upgrade/

1966 Series 2a 88" LHD Station Wagon

Larry S

Quote from: Domeheadrivet on Nov 01, 2023, 06:50 AMI don't see it mentioned so far but, "Design Development Engineering" used to make a smart billet aluminium adaptor to allow defender mirrors to be fitted to a S2 door hinge.

It's not listed in their shop at the moment though.

https://littlegreenlandy.com/2021/05/09/defender-wing-mirror-upgrade/

I spoke to them quite a long time ago about these. They indicated they were no longer going to be made.  And doing a quick check, the website no longer exists.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Very nicely made but I could not help thinking that they were unnecessarily complex and had a relatively low target audience, unless it was a product added to and existing cnc component range.

602 that s3 chassis fitting an s1 has surprised me, as  I would have expected more diddling about to get it to fit other than the bulkhead riggers, they are quite sculpted on the s1 and I would envisage that the main big bolt spacing width and potentially height differs.

Its good to know should you ever need to rechassis an s1 and cannot stomach dedicated s1 chassis prices and are not fixated on originality.

Not sure what the insurers or authorities would think as its not like for like in their eyes.