News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Ad for a cool 2A, sad lessons

Started by jkhackney, Oct 19, 2023, 11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkhackney

I just ran across this ad on our Swiss "ebay" that offers potential buyers some lessons:

https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/land-rover-109-series-2a-'bomb-squad'-1242602062/

It's a customized 109 Station imported to Switzerland from Italy with the intention of using it for tourism in Marrakesh. But importing it to and registering it there has proven impossible, thus the sale.

The seller notes crestfallen that it's got rust holes on structural members, it has Series 3 pieces on it (wing), the chassis number "does not match the Land Rover", the original chassis number "is not present". And it leaks fluid.

Certainly most of the problems wouldn't bother most of us. But with the number mixup, it's really just a batch of spare parts, isn't it? Certainly now that they've blabbed about it online, there's no way to --ahem-- amend the chassis number issue. I have to assume they didn't go inspect it before buying and that they didn't really know much about Series Land Rovers.

Anyway very cool rear double-door, plastic dome, and the wood is done nicely! It might have an interesting history.

Jeremy

diffwhine

And asking over SF 35,000 for a suspect vehicle with chassis rot suggests somebody got their fingers badly burned. If there was ever an advert for taking advice beforehand, this has to be it.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

DogDave

Quote from: diffwhine on Oct 19, 2023, 12:19 PMAnd asking over SF 35,000 for a suspect vehicle with chassis rot suggests somebody got their fingers badly burned. If there was ever an advert for taking advice beforehand, this has to be it.

Yikes - that's £32k in UK pounds - would it even be worth that if it was perfect? Afraid that is going to be a very very expensive lesson learned.

Craig T

I can still see a black and silver plate in front of the gear levers. Surely the number is on there still?

Shame the photos aren't good enough to see the number.

Craig.

Theshed

It's problems aside I think it looks a nice vehicle, very smart inside.
But where did the 'Bomb Squad' come in ?
Please don't say through the door !   ;)

jkhackney

Yeah I wonder if they just don't know where to look for the chassis nr?

The "bomb squad" title is why I clicked it in the first place! No clues are given as to why it's called that ... it's RHD in Italy so I guess it's originally British ? Or Maltese (do they have right-hand drive there)?

I hope it's not scrapped -- but that turret is too tall for my garage !

Richard

It was apparently sold in April this year on Catawiki for € 28.000. It says "In 1963, the still-existing English car dealership "Farnell Limited" ordered a Land Rover—before being converted for research and bomb disposal purposes by necessity" in the advert.
Richard
'64 S2a

Richard

Also: "The chassis is generally solid and original, as is the underbody. They do not require any interventions for road use." Erm, so the holes clearly visible in the axle casing are recent? I think not...
Richard
'64 S2a

Richard

Images on Catawiki show the bomb squad Land Rover in more detail. On nr. 63 and 107 the chassis number is visible: 27602025B (according to CalVIN a Land Rover series IIa 109" diesel RHD 1962-71. On 108 an engine number: 906829460 (Series 3 diesel 2286 3-bearing, according to Glencoyne). The holes in the axle casing are clearly visible (116). Complete with heritage certificate (131) – although the certificate looks different from the ones I got, more yellowish, parchment-like.
Richard
'64 S2a

Theshed

Looks more like a viewing or hunting vehicle rather than Bomb Disposal.
When I first read Ricardo I thought of the British Engineering Company.

Richard

Quote from: Richard on Oct 19, 2023, 08:02 PMthe chassis number is visible
But should of course be compared to the one in the chassis. The plate inside on the bulkhead could have easily be transferred...
Richard
'64 S2a

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Needs the roof-liner done as the Sistine Chapel, and a gold-plate steering-wheel, I'd drive it.

jkhackney

Gilded steering wheel? That woodwork in the rear is good enough for me!

I just read the catawiki ad from Italy and it's appropriately descriptive. It even recommends viewing. Though I don't see that the paperwork connects it to the bomb removal squad described in the article. Only thing missing is a photo of the right dumbiron with the number. I can imagine that a bulkhead plate suffices as ID in many countries, but not here, or apparently in Morocco!

My Dormobile was in a similar state when it came over from England, with the holes covered over by putty, silicone, and black paint, with valid MOT, and a German TÜV! I guess it depends on who you know in the inspection business.

I faced big hurdles to get it registered here, but at least one of the chassis numbers on the dumbiron corresponded to the paperwork  :cool .    (THAT story's in an old B2L)

Just a pretty naiive Swiss buyer I guess -

Oilyrag921

Well, at the right price, an awful lot less than than the asking price it's worth having and fixing the faults.  Anything is fixable but as for the ID, maybe just better to have it inspected and re-registered, as for the possibility of having an interesting history it could have but hopefully that does not include being stolen !  Everything has a value, with a new chassis it woud be great.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Unless you're going to sell it, I'll never grasp the obsession for right number this; matched reg that? Mine's a moving shed of bits. I don't know what it is, doubt I ever will. I realise I'm supposed to get all earnest about this, I do try. Honest.