What did you do with your Series 2 in January ???

Started by Wittsend, Jan 02, 2024, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

New Year, new month.

Post up your doings here ....

:Lucas

simonbav

Happy New Year all

I finished my underseat storage box today and started cutting ali scraps for replacement sill brackets. I made the mistake of using countersunk stainless pop rivets I misordered, and blow me down, what a job I had getting them to "snap". I'll be drilling them out and replacing with c/s ali rivets as soon as the 5mm cobalt jobber drill arrives!
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Gareth

Took a couple of steps back, then 3 steps forward with the engine build.

It was quite therapeutic in my garage today, with the rain beating down outside I couldn't do much else.

Herald1360

Splashed through some large puddles (not really floods) on the old A49 South of Leominster on the way to Hereford for the evening.

Bloke

Took a full load to the tip. Took this photo to wind my Dad up!

Tom
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

Mike T

Actually found the problem that was causing a clunk every time I hit a pot hole.
It was the steering box, just needed the adjuster tightening to take the slack out.
I had set the bix up, but on the bench before fitting. So spent weeks looking for something loose on the steering but avoiding checking the steering box as I thought I had set it correctly before fitting.
Another job completed.

Peter Holden

Took it to the workshop meet at Leaf Sprung Landys today, Travelled well on the motorway and ebven reached 72 mph on the way home.  It felt like I was flying.

Whilst there I picked up the correct starter for the spreadbore engine.

We were able to climb all over a grenadier and compare it with a new defender and the consensus was that we preferred the grenadier.

I also managed to do some VRO stuff - more work now.

Peter

Gritstoner

I also went to the club meet, saw Peter and lots of other folk.  Not being a great fan of motorways I returned via the scenic Trough of Bowland and didn't get anywhere near 72mph😂

Mike T

Fitted the centre tool box my son made for me. Before fitting covered it in Vibrodamping
Material and foam gasket edging.

diffwhine

Discovered that my p38 hub does not fit in my press, so no wheel bearing change today... Started rebuilding a Club member's gearbox instead. Had the usual battle of getting the rear layshaft bearing seat out, but all well.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Exile

Decided to test the rough looking diesel starter motor I was given as a spare, to see if it works.

Connected the two big cables between starter and battery, and then a small wire to the solenoid.

Touched the end of the small wire to the battery terminal.

There was a huge flash.

The Bendix slammed against the far end of the casing.

The starter rolled sideways with the inertia, and nearly fell off the table.

I think it works..... :coffee

GHOBHW

Quote from: Exile on Jan 07, 2024, 05:28 PMDecided to test the rough looking diesel starter motor I was given as a spare, to see if it works.

Connected the two big cables between starter and battery, and then a small wire to the solenoid.

Touched the end of the small wire to the battery terminal.

There was a huge flash.

The Bendix slammed against the far end of the casing.

The starter rolled sideways with the inertia, and nearly fell off the table.

I think it works..... :coffee

those diesel starter motors kick like mules, I test mine on the floor while standing on it!

island dormy

I test my starter motors clamped in the vise, to hold them still.
Then you take a 2x4 and jam it as hard as you can into the rotating gear, if it makes sawdust........its a good one.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

Mr Ed

I'm rebuilding a Rover differential, and thinking about how to measure the preload of the pinion bevel, I thought of a way and published it in a recent post.

Building the Land Rover is better than playing with Legos :Copa de Oro
Everyday better...
88 Station Wagon 1966
Ex Army

nickmerry

Installed the Carburretter Exchange refurbished Zenith. What a difference to the Weber I've had onfor 2 years. Idles better, picks up better, and just has more get up and go. Should hae done it sooner.

'67 2a 88" Station Wagon