News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Engine arrived

Started by Bigdog, Sep 07, 2023, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Gareth on Sep 08, 2023, 12:21 PMI swapped the diesel for a petrol on the 88". Before I did the swap, and with the front end in bits so it was all visible, I got the diesel engine running and filmed it. Once the swap was complete I sold the diesel for what I paid for petrol engine, the video of it running helped a lot.

Very wise. With a glut of Diesels, which are you going to buy? The one you've proof as a runner or...

diffwhine

Quote from: Alan Drover on Sep 08, 2023, 08:21 PM
Quote from: diffwhine on Sep 08, 2023, 07:42 PMOne thing to note is that the diesel fuel lift pump operates at a higher pressure to the petrol one - they are not supposed to be interchangeable although I hear of LR dealers superseding the petrol part number to the diesel one.
Correct. I've had a Tdi lift pump on my petrol Series 3 for a while. I bought it from a main dealer at Old Sarum near Salisbury. It came with  additional rubber fuel lines to attach to the existing input and output lines.
I was told it superseded the glass bowl pump.

This is the odd bit about LR superseding the petrol lift pump to the diesel variant. I note that none of the independants do so. a) you lose the glass sedimenter bowl and b) it operates at nearly double the pressure. Their own service training manual suggests they are not interchangeable, but maybe the float chamber valves are man enough to handle the pressure. Evidently so if it works so well with Alan Drover's Zenith.

You cannot view this attachment.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

diffwhine

Unless maybe the Tdi lift pump operates at a lower pressure than the earlier diesel pumps?  :flasher

Bigdog

Sounds very confusing, do,I need to change this if I install the petrol engine

Exile

I like the diagramme DW.

I always wondered why those lift pumps had a pronounced dome at the top.

diffwhine

Quote from: Bigdog on Sep 09, 2023, 04:26 PMSounds very confusing, do,I need to change this if I install the petrol engine

The correct one should already be on your engine.

The diagram came from a Land Rover 4 Cylinder Engines Training Manual which I'm trying to scan for the Club archive. It belongs to Alan Drover.