What did you do with your Series 2 in November

Started by Wittsend, Nov 01, 2023, 10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

Alan Drover

Fitted this today. It doubles up as a radiator muff and will be removed 1/4/24. Much smaller versions fitted to the dogs' collars and our jumpers.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Adam1958

Today I have mostly been... replacing the glass in my windscreen so I can see all the things on the other side.
Seems brake cleaner is dandy for softening up that horrible crusty gloop that they used originally.

Herald1360

Fitted a GPS speedometer pending a cable replacement in a few weeks time. The present cable has only lasted about a year :ranting

simonbav

I welded the left hand tailgate hinge on the chassis and put the tailgate back on. It's good to see it looking wholer than it has for ages. Another step closer of this five year rebuild.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

diffwhine

Waved my Lightweight off to its new home.

Started to look at my Station Wagon. I took the steering box off and took it apart thinking it would be a nice easy rebuild. Alas not - new inner column and bearing seats.

Another order to Blanchards...

You cannot view this attachment.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

First outing with the radiator muff today and collected my much modified MGB cylinder head from the nearby garage that had checked it for any distortion and had reground the valves.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

TimV

I needed to push the car round in the garage today, I couldn't budge it. Had to start the engine, tried moving it backwards and forwards, thinking it was a seized brake, no it moved but stopped quickly. Turned out the handbrake was sticking on. After adjusting it, decided that wasn't enough. Pulled it apart, after admiring a bone dry inside of the handbrake drum (I must have put the seal in correctly). Turned out the handbrake actuators were seized. Then fun and games, as I didn't want to remove the backplate. Current position is the actuators are cleaned, polished, greased and back in. 

Serious Series

Inspired by Alan Drovers Poppy I fitted this one to my series

Alan Drover

I see you have a capstan winch too.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Betsy1969

Hello Diffwhine

I wonder if you could indulge me and my dire lack of engineering knowledge and explain what to look for on an item such as your steering shaft that would indicate if it's worn and needs replacing.

Thank you
Andy

diffwhine

Morning Andy,
If you look at the picture below, I have highlighted two wear points. This is the bottom bearing race and bottom bearing seat on the inner column. These are supposed to be smooth and unpitted... There is no way a run of ten ball bearings can sit there and turn smoothly. Its the lowest point in the box, so any water collects there and you get corrosion as well. Once through the case hardening, both column and bearing seat are scrap.

The upper one is the same. This one has worn because its gets exposed to air and rusts.

diffwhine

Started painting and cleaning up the columns and steering boxes. In the photo, you can clearly see the difference in heights between the early and later columns. The shorter one is 1959 and the longer one is 1965. Just waiting for 3 bearing seats and one later inner column from Blanchards and the fun can start... Its not fun - its actually really frustrating chasing ball bearings round the steering box and bench, but we will get there in the end.

TimV

Turned out the handbrake shoes were worn out! The adjusters and actuators were at the end of their travel. They were the originals as well. Fun and games today getting the springs on the new shoes and installing them.

Space-Kook

Photographed, disassembled, and started to clean up the under bonnet toolbox. Found some well preserved DBG under a tar-like coating. It was beautifully shiny, gave me second thoughts about doing a patina build last night, but the rest isn't in good enough condition.
Got the bits marinating in paint stripper currently, and I'll start working out a few dents this evening.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT