What did you do with your Series 2 in November

Started by Wittsend, Nov 01, 2023, 10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

You've done more in the past two days than I did in the last two years! Keep it up and keep us posted.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

GHOBHW

i love seeing the paint thats been hidden for the last 50-60 years, always makes me smile too with how perfect it still looks.

I put a station wagon roof on one of my other 88s today, after its been sat with no roof on for the last 3 weeks in all this rain, poor fella

started instantly after sitting for those 3 weeks though :RHD

Bloke

Did some last-minute checks before taking the 6 cylinder to the NEC Classic Motor Show this week:

Adjusted the timing, adjusted the carb mixture and tickover, then fitted Accuspark electronic ignition and a red rotor arm to the Lucas 45D6. This advanced the timing slightly, however the engine seemed to prefer it.

Finally and most importantly, fitted a nice new Series 2 Club sticker  :cool

1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

simonbav

I got a coat of Galvafroid on the tailgate chassis bracket, wire brushed and coated the chains too. I dug out the seat box, trial fitted it in order to calculate the area of 1.2mm ali I need to replace the ends I made from galv sheet thirty years ago. Putting that in place brought a smile to my face as once again it becomes recognizably closer to the working vehicle it once was.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Betsy1969

Quote from: diffwhine on Nov 05, 2023, 09:54 AMMorning Andy,
If you look at the picture below, I have highlighted two wear points. This is the bottom bearing race and bottom bearing seat on the inner column. These are supposed to be smooth and unpitted... There is no way a run of ten ball bearings can sit there and turn smoothly. Its the lowest point in the box, so any water collects there and you get corrosion as well. Once through the case hardening, both column and bearing seat are scrap.

The upper one is the same. This one has worn because its gets exposed to air and rusts.

You cannot view this attachment.

Thanks for that I appreciate the effort. Perhaps an idea for B2L could be an article or even a series of articles written by the experts amongst us to help the less knowledgeable people ( like me ) in the subtleties of parts assessment etc

Regards

Andy .

diffwhine

Good idea. We will put some thought to it.

Tom66

Tacked in a support piece of angle before i start hunting spotwelds to replace the bulkhead foot.

Will do the new footwell separate after the foot is completed rather than go mad with the grinder and lose alignment/where im at.

Bonnet-rouge

Return to France did nearly 1200 miles all in , only problem passenger wiper stopped about 30 miles from home had worked loose can't complain been using for two weeks non stop and on way back was getting around 26 mpg on motorway not bad for a old 2.5 na oil burner .  :cheers-man
The Earth is flat 🌎

diffwhine

I got the enthusiasm finally to build up my two steering boxes. The 1959 box went together beautifully and required hardly any different shimming from what was in it when it was stripped down. Less lucky with my 1965 box. Plays suspended while I track down some more shims. Its a none genuine column and new genuine bearing collars, so the machining may be very slightly off. Another post to follow looking for shims... :thud

You cannot view this attachment.

Serious Series

Took a lot of bolts out the last few days as tomorrow I am removing the roof so the tub  can be removed into my garage to get the rear rail and rear 1/4 panels replaced and repaint the whole lot.
Hopefully complete before Xmas.

Serious Series

Well today I got the roof off my landrover and removed the rear tub to start replacing the rear quarter panels and the Z rail beneath them ,massive progress due to a mate helping me.
Rear rail and panels out. Lot of fettling to do before fitting the new parts.

Alan Drover

Tyre pressures checked. They weren't far out but far enough out not to use a manual pump to put about 3psi in a 7.50. It takes a surprisingly long time even with my large trolley compressor. The T Max twin cylinder compressor was used connected to a 17 year old Deka Intimidator slave battery which was fully charged and gave more than enough power. The compressor draws 45 amps.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Bonnet-rouge

Extended bar for mounting spare wheel in back by a couple of inches.
The Earth is flat 🌎

Alan Drover

Like mine. I turn the Wolf wheel around so the dish faces the bulkhead and store small items in it.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Gres

Time for my neighbours hedge pruning session!