What did you do with your Series 2 in November

Started by Wittsend, Nov 01, 2023, 10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonbav

I successfully made new aluminium seat box end panels and got the driver's side fitted. I bought a m2 1.2mm ali sheet for £44 before I saw both ends delivered from Ebay for £38 so I've plenty left to make the passenger underseat box with. I have to slot the sill fixings yet.
1961 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Tom66

Some weld through primer to the new bulkhead foot and attached. Footwell next.

Alan Drover

Sorted out the NSF indicator. I had to replace it eventually, fortunately I had a spare.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

jkhackney

Quote from: Tom66 on Nov 20, 2023, 12:39 PMSome weld through primer to the new bulkhead foot and attached. Footwell next.
Nice puddle welds! Not a pigeon dropping in sight! I suppose that iron ore next to it is the old footwell?  :thud

Tom66

Quote from: jkhackney on Nov 20, 2023, 06:30 PM
Quote from: Tom66 on Nov 20, 2023, 12:39 PMSome weld through primer to the new bulkhead foot and attached. Footwell next.
Nice puddle welds! Not a pigeon dropping in sight! I suppose that iron ore next to it is the old footwell?  :thud

Thank you! It is indeed, its all new to me so i dont want to go taking out too much at once as i have no memory either 🤣

Thats the next job pick out the spot welds in that footwell and replace the whole thing.

Alan Drover

Although the new NSF indicator was in position it wasn't very secure as the area where it fixes has disappeared a bit. I had a look in the local DIY shop and found a strip of metal with 4 drilled holes. They were too big but I bought it as I didn't have any scrap steel. I drilled a small hole and enlarged it until the self tapper screwed in. I then cut of the small piece with the hole, cleaned the edges on the bench grinder and then positioned it inside the wing. It worked so I made another. I didn't need a third as that screw was ok. The light is now secure.
This is on a Series 3.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

simonbav

Quote from: Alan Drover on Nov 23, 2023, 05:38 PMAlthough the new NSF indicator was in position it wasn't very secure as the area where it fixes has disappeared a bit. I had a look in the local DIY shop and found a strip of metal with 4 drilled holes. They were too big but I bought it as I didn't have any scrap steel. I drilled a small hole and enlarged it until the self tapper screwed in. I then cut of the small piece with the hole, cleaned the edges on the bench grinder and then positioned it inside the wing. It worked so I made another. I didn't need a third as that screw was ok. The light is now secure.
This is on a Series 3.

I have 2a wing that's done the same thing, a completely missing (corroded) piece where the N/S indicator should be. Most strange.

Alan Drover

Decades of exposure to corrosive elements.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

simonbav

Quote from: Alan Drover on Nov 23, 2023, 09:43 PMDecades of exposure to corrosive elements.

Sure, the combined effect of those three iron screws.

simonbav

I reproduced the passenger side seat box reinforcer from 1.2 ali to replace the one I made from galv sheet back in '92

Bloke

Got a noisy front prop on the 6 cylinder so I think it's time for new UJ's. Found these new-old-stock Unipart items on eBay for less than a pair of new GKN items. Lovely.
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

autorover1

Quote from: Bloke on Nov 25, 2023, 07:55 PMGot a noisy front prop on the 6 cylinder so I think it's time for new UJ's. Found these new-old-stock Unipart items on eBay for less than a pair of new GKN items. Lovely.
I hope they are decent ones , I complained back in the early 1980's about a Unipart one supplied by the Main LR dealer, I bought for my S3 to both the MD of LR and Unipart, as I believed it had less capacity ( Smaller bearings) than the Hardy Spicer originals.  I was told the whole world  stock ended up being  withdrawn and replaced. I knew the engineer at LR whose desk my letter landed on and he said the LR MD went ballistic, as Unipart had not consulted LR before buying different inferior parts. to use as genuine spares.  This was just after one started seeing Unipart Numbers appear as supersessions in parts books.  I was sent a Hardy Spicer one from Unipart as a replacement.

Len

Landrover Len 210
Sold my 71 fc 110 yesterday,very sad to do but necessary for it to be rebuilt in my time.
I am now left with a load of series parts

simonbav

Quote from: Len on Nov 27, 2023, 09:30 AMLandrover Len 210
Sold my 71 fc 110 yesterday,very sad to do but necessary for it to be rebuilt in my time.
I am now left with a load of series parts

I feel for your sadness, Len. What did you mean, "necessary for it to be rebuilt in my time"?

Did the new owner not want the accompanying parts?