News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Series 2a 109 6 cylinder restoration

Started by haveyoubooked, Dec 24, 2023, 07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Exile on Jan 01, 2024, 06:09 PMI hate front light guards, which is why the first thing I did after buying Legless - see pic - was take them off.

I'll be glad to get rid of them!

I'm with you on that, just more fake bling - what do they do exactly? You're doing the world a favour if you bin 'em.

Wittsend

I love my lamp guards ...

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

haveyoubooked

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Jan 02, 2024, 11:31 AMIt's extremely difficult to replicate patina, easy to do it badly. Half-hour's misdirected effort and the whole thing will be gone for good.. The bulkhead will be difficult, careful.

A parrallel would be those fake pubs people like, those that pay for what you're trying to keep won't be seen dead in them.

Hmm maybe just better to paint the bulkhead and front panel repaired areas and blend into the orignal patina. Externally, thats just bottom of a posts and about a 2" section to the left of the o/s vent

haveyoubooked

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Jan 02, 2024, 11:35 AM
Quote from: Exile on Jan 01, 2024, 06:09 PMI hate front light guards, which is why the first thing I did after buying Legless - see pic - was take them off.

I'm with you on that, just more fake bling - what do they do exactly? You're doing the world a favour if you bin 'em.

I guess its a taste thing. Im not too fussed either way, but mine seems to have had them most of its life, they were an option that must have been fitted in 1971 when mine was made. If I don't fit them i'm left with a set of holes front and back.

It was a crofters workhorse most of its working life, and it will be working during my ownership on mountain windfarm rough roads and a lot of dirt tracks out to fish farms, so a bit of extra protection wont be a bad thing.

I don't think i'dd add them if it didn't have them on it most of its life.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: haveyoubooked on Jan 02, 2024, 06:35 PM...I don't think i'dd add them if it didn't have them on it most of its life.
Yes, the choice is made for you. Might be tempted to put rivets in the holes all the same. Flat them down in vinegar for a few hours before putting them in. If you decide to keep the guards, it'll be hard to judge what not to touch. Suggest, don't disturb the fixings. eg: don't remove and put them back on, they'll never look well planted, or look lived-in again.

Serious Series

Quote from: haveyoubooked on Jan 02, 2024, 06:35 PM

I guess its a taste thing. Im not too fussed either way, but mine seems to have had them most of its life, they were an option that must have been fitted in 1971 when mine was made. If I don't fit them i'm left with a set of holes front and back.

It was a crofters workhorse most of its working life, and it will be working during my ownership on mountain windfarm rough roads and a lot of dirt tracks out to fish farms, so a bit of extra protection wont be a bad thing.

Lots of farmers fitted them as the cattle damaged the lights licking them.

haveyoubooked

Quote from: Serious Series on Jan 04, 2024, 09:58 AM
Quote from: haveyoubooked on Jan 02, 2024, 06:35 PM

Lots of farmers fitted them as the cattle damaged the lights licking them.

That makes sense. Back ones look like they have taken a few kicks but they should straighten out fine.