News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

2B forward control… daft lust?

Started by Myles (Mr Fox) Davison, Jul 18, 2023, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

I've owned my '88 2.25 (notionally) '63 petrol for 5-6 years now and never intend to part with it. Overly familiar with brakes, steering and -latterly - transfer box etc. so not a cheque-book engineer...

I've just stumbled across a 2B FC (engine as yet unknown - guess it's the six) locally that *might* come up for sale one day.

Ignoring the condition (I've no concerns there) - is this a daft thing to lust over? I have no need for it as such - but that has not been a good enough reason in the past....

GHOBHW

if you have the space and money, why not.

saves it an uncertain life. and you could always sell it on if it isn't for you.

wish i had space for one.... :RHD

MegaGeoff

Go for it, they are excellent fun.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Thanks - I don't currently have space but we're actively looking to move and I prefer to work on the principle that solutions can be found to such problems...

I think I'll enjoy it and can always move it on in time. No guarantee that it will be up for sale and/or at a sensible price anyway.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Struggling to make contact but can't get it out of my mind...

Did a check on the reg today and found it was originally registered within a fortnight or so of my '88 back in May '63... I suspect they've both got roughly the same proportion of the original vehicles left but..... :RHD

ChiefBeard

As a collector of pointless scrap this question made me laugh. It shows a level of self-awareness I warm to. Can't truly stomach the delusional 'it's a workhorse' fraternity, with self-justification because they collect firewood/ go to the tip once-in-a-blue. Or don't use it at all.

I like the way you're fully conversant with having no fathomable reason for wanting to add more tat, er...  high quality mechandise to the heap.

Half the s&*%$ in my shed has no reason to be there, I still insist there's room for more.

Most of it pretty humble, the 50 car garage of my dreams would have a 2B somewhere. Fancy a Bedford HA van too.

diffwhine

Is there some sort of detox process you can go through? Don't ask the NHS, but perhaps go private. Sort of thing the Mayo Clinic might offer...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

Nah, land rovers never get out of your system though I did go 25 years without having one on the road

Peter

22900013A

The problem with a vehicle like a IIB is that they were pretty poor at their intended purpose when new, or at least not very good at all as a road vehicle. VERY thirsty and slow in original configuration. Inevitably one ends up changing the engine and gearing to make it more "useable", edging further and further away from original whilst also not getting even remotely close to a "modern". They are also big vehicles, parts are rare and hard to find as not many were built. You've really got to want one but don't delude yourself it would ever be anything more than a grown up tonka toy. My 1-Ton is similar. I'm quite aware I'm a bit daft running one in original spec (which is pretty close to a IIB  actually) but I view it purely as a toy to use as and when I choose. I'm not running it commercially or as a daily driver. I wouldn't even consider any series vehicle for such jobs.

Davidss

Quote from: 22900013A on Jul 23, 2023, 01:52 PMThe problem with a vehicle like a IIB is that they were pretty poor at their intended purpose when new, or at least not very good at all as a road vehicle.  ................VERY thirsty and slow in original configuration. ...

I subscribe to these views.

Regards

Birdsnest55

Quote from: w3526602 on Jul 23, 2023, 10:24 PMHi,

This thread reminds me of the question ..... What do a LADA and a FAT BIRD have in common?

Answer ... They both do the job, but you don't want your friends to see you.

No offence intended to either.

I have missed you John.
Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

ChiefBeard

Quote from: diffwhine on Jul 23, 2023, 09:27 AMIs there some sort of detox process you can go through? Don't ask the NHS, but perhaps go private. Sort of thing the Mayo Clinic might offer...

Yes Doctor DW, I too was worried at first. Seen the symptoms, it can be tragic.

The thin edge of the wedge breaks out into fits of gibbering 'Capt Birdeye'. The oil turns to Helmans or it's 90% petrol from all the cylinder wash from tuning your carb 15 hours a day. The facial-hair gets caught in the fan-belt.  Easy to spot, starts with calling the thing "She".

No danger of this here. The OP gets a salute from me, knows it's a pile of irrational poo and wants the thing anyway.

Moogling

I've had one, and granted, it had a big van body on it that might have added to the problems, but it was an underpowered and lumbering beast, with some parts that are hard to find and your legs are the crumple zone of any front end contact.

They are hilarious, but not really useful or fit for much.

GHOBHW

before I really got into series land rovers and moved off defenders, there used to be 2 abandoned in a field up near bradford way, along with about 20 other land rovers, including station wagons, can see be seen on old versions of google maps.

when I finally drove up there to have a peek, they were all being cut up for scrap, now its just an empty field, only saw one of the land rovers survive, parked in a yard.

I'm not talking 20+ years ago either, around 2019 or so.

sometimes you never know with parked up stuff...

ChiefBeard

Quote from: 22900013A on Jul 23, 2023, 01:52 PMThe problem.... they were pretty poor at their intended purpose when new....

Quote from: Moogling on Jul 24, 2023, 05:07 PMhilarious, but not really useful or fit for much.

Dear me. Refreshing to see only I think we're supposed to take issue with anything not party-line. You know the kind of thing;

"You don't understand the design, all it takes is correct-adjustment and proper maintenance."

"They managed perfectly well in 1954"

"Something about oil-bath filters and the army"

"Did you know Princess Ann had one of those?"

See? You feel better already.