News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

2B forward control… daft lust?

Started by Myles (Mr Fox) Davison, Jul 18, 2023, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonhutchings

When I use to live not too far from where diffwhine lives now, if in a land rover, I used to come home via a byway through West Woods on a summers evening. The only time I ever met anyone else, was a chap in a 2B FC, he seemed to be having a lovely time despite it not exactly being the ideal vehicle for greenlaning through a woodland. Although I've never wanted to own one, that is an image that has stuck with me.

diffwhine

I live round the corner from West Woods - didn't know there was a byway through it. Is it a B.O.A.T. or restricted?

Haven't seen a 2A Forward Control round here. There is a chap with a very nice Perentie with a DROPS body fitted - maybe he's upgraded!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

gcc130

West Woods is a BOAT Mark and is a lovely byway especially in spring when the bluebells are in flower. We use it regularly.
There is another good one from West Kennet up to the top of the hill.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

So....

...I had a chance of a quick test drive (just around an industrial site, not on roads) and a good poke around just now...

It's a 2.25 petrol - seems to run well - it's on smaller wheels/tyres than the (9.00?) it should be on so seems to move off smartly but ultimately it would need to be put back to the intended size.

The gear change is atrocious - most porridge like I've driven on any vehicle. Looks like there might be a bit of play in some of the bushings in the laborious linkage system. Brakes are 11's up front but not the TLS I'm used to, I guess... They worked but we're quite soft.

It's on Rocky Mountain paras too - so with that and the over-axle driving position, it's boingy!

Aside from that, I don't know quite what to think. I like it, have no real use for it, have no space for it - and don't really want to spend that much money...

But...!

GHOBHW

wow, can't imagine a 2b with springs on top of axles, that has to be pretty high and maybe even top heavy.

i heard on the post office club of a former GPO 2b coming up for auction in derbyshire soon, along with other land rovers. not sure where or when as of yet though.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Quote from: GHOBHW on Jul 26, 2023, 03:57 PMwow, can't imagine a 2b with springs on top of axles, that has to be pretty high and maybe even top heavy.

i heard on the post office club of a former GPO 2b coming up for auction in derbyshire soon, along with other land rovers. not sure where or when as of yet though.

...from memory (didn't take any pics...) the axles were over the springs - I clearly (think I) remember the u-bolts being inverted as on a normal series. The springs looked to have just two leaves though? Certainly not the big stack I'm used to on the '88.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

...it's a '63 2A if that makes a difference...

diffwhine

What you really want is for one of us to give you some reassuring words that this is a sensible idea and you really should go for it regardless of cost or common sense.

However - I've been caught out by this before, so I'm not saying a word... :cheers-man
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GlenAnderson

Get it bought.

Or let us know where it is and how much they want for it so someone else can have a go.

autorover1

I rebuilt an ex fire service 2.25 Diesel 2B , put it back to a standard drop side, with a 2.5 NA. Had a great time doing it but eventually sold it as it was not really useful for much that I was doing, especially if I wanted to travel far. I did take it to the Netherlands for an event but it was hard work .  If I had put a tdi or similar in it , may have been better , but I didnt really want to deviate too much from standard

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Quote from: diffwhine on Jul 26, 2023, 05:40 PMWhat you really want is for one of us to give you some reassuring words that this is a sensible idea and you really should go for it regardless of cost or common sense.

However - I've been caught out by this before, so I'm not saying a word... :cheers-man

Guess so! :cheers

I have no practical use for it - about the only practical justification I can think of I'd that I've never taken the Sankey trailer I restored/rebuilt on the road as I have a tricky exit road from the house where you always have to dodge in and out of gaps in the parked cars along one side. It would be much easier in a fwd control!

That said, I've never really *needed* to use the trailer (it was a project for me to develop my fab/welding skills) - so the 'avoid using the Sankey' argument doesn't hold water.... :thud

DogDave

Bear in mind one member drove his 2B from Lancs all around the north west 500 last year. (Although I think Jim might have a 200tdi in his)

You're looking for support so I'll say just buy it, what's the point saving when you could get hit by a bus tomorrow? It's much more fun than an ISA or premium bonds.

And yes, I do have a 2B in bits in the shed already so probably a biased view point.

ChiefBeard

I get it, I want one too. Have we seen the price of 9.00s lately?. We should add to the list....

a) Magic-carpet ride - Over axle (speaks a volume)
b) RM springs (ahem, do your homework here).
c) FC rims 569203 (circa £1500-2000) AWOL.

There's a charm to any automotive purchase. There's a ritual. When seller refers to this as 'She", and says:

"Specific mileage by arrangement"

"she wants it awful she does, I was saving it for my mother"

"Previous owner was a vicar"

"They all do that"

The thing to do is to buy it.

However, in all honesty, this one is not simply a spanner job to sort is it?

The parts which in my humblest opinion make an FC an FC, and look proper and 'right' are very much AWOL. The cost to replace, quite easily £4000+.  Hard to find parts  reaching £5000 'when' or worse, 'if' you find them..

eg: Are the step-up rings present? Inspired by seeing them on a factory 'Service' Dept 109, I paid £400 for a pair and the wheel-spacer nuts are £50 a pair and you want 3 x sets. £550 right there.

The blunt truth is, it's clearly been in the hands of the stereotypical LR 'one life' er... ahem, enthusiast for some part of its life - this should worry you. Intently. We are the marque known for the  dimmest owners, and this FC shows the signs. If you truly want a FC, get one. Get one 'all present and correct' for rare parts.

Only unless it's dirt, dirt cheap, walk from this one.

Peter Holden

Quote from: DogDave on Jul 26, 2023, 10:26 PMBear in mind one member drove his 2B from Lancs all around the north west 500 last year. (Although I think Jim might have a 200tdi in his)

You're looking for support so I'll say just buy it, what's the point saving when you could get hit by a bus tomorrow? It's much more fun than an ISA or premium bonds.

And yes, I do have a 2B in bits in the shed already so probably a biased view point.
Dave, it had a 2.5 petrol in it when Jim did the NC500 as far as I know it is still there but he did replace the Perkins in the 6 wheeler with a 200TDi

Jim loves his FC and would drive it anywhere

Peter