News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

2B forward control… daft lust?

Started by Myles (Mr Fox) Davison, Jul 18, 2023, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

@ChiefBeard - it does have the step rings...

Can't recall if I was told the proper rims were present or not. Thanks for the heads up on that point though.

Dubious choice of springs aside, it clearly has been meticulously put together - which puts the gear linkage as an outlier. From what I know of the history, there's a good chance a couple of finishing touches were expedited for good (and unfortunate) reason... Understandable but still needs to be rectified.

Beowulf

There`ll be many very good, very sensible reasons why you should not (troublesome, leaky, bouncy, bumpy, noisy, smelly, thirsty and sometimes a real pain in the a**e). But you're not deciding which family euro box you should buy, this is more important.

Owning this type of LR goes beyond it having a practical use, have it because you want it, and go from there.

Anyway, I think you`ve already made up your mind, you just haven`t told yourself yet.
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

ChiefBeard

Quote from: Myles (Mr Fox) Davison on Jul 27, 2023, 06:01 PM@ChiefBeard - it does have the step rings...

Can't recall if I was told the proper rims were present or not....

You say it has smaller tyres, that for me is a big clue. They're on there for one reason. Most are aware of the desirability of FC rims, more so with decent 9.00s as a set.

569203 569204 543384.

Leon

Quote from: Myles (Mr Fox) Davison on Jul 26, 2023, 05:08 PM...it's a '63 2A if that makes a difference...

Ahh.... if it a 63 2A, then the springs will be under the rear axle. Will have early type gear change linkages.
What is the chassis number? Any photos? Rover or ENV diffs?

DogDave

Quote from: Peter Holden on Jul 27, 2023, 02:26 PM[quote author=DogDave link=msg=1866 date=1690406811
Dave, it had a 2.5 petrol in it when Jim did the NC500 as far as I know it is still there but he did replace the Perkins in the 6 wheeler with a 200TDi

Jim loves his FC and would drive it anywhere

Peter

Sorry mixing things up in that case - even more impressive in that case.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

For the life of me, I don't know why I didn't grab the chassis number - but I can get it. I've an open invitation to dig through the history file as well.

I think I've kind of decided I'd quite like one - whether it's this one I don't know. The price is probably the deciding factor as it is being priced according to the clarity of your reflection!

22900013A

Quote from: ChiefBeard on Jul 27, 2023, 08:05 PM
Quote from: Myles (Mr Fox) Davison on Jul 27, 2023, 06:01 PM@ChiefBeard - it does have the step rings...

Can't recall if I was told the proper rims were present or not....

You say it has smaller tyres, that for me is a big clue. They're on there for one reason. Most are aware of the desirability of FC rims, more so with decent 9.00s as a set.

569203 569204 543384.

In fairness prices for proper series 6.5" rims have collapsed since nakatenga/britpart brought out their 8x16 tubeless rim. Plenty of sets of appropriate rims on ebay for around £1k and no buyers.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

...so is there an FC (2A/2B) group/forum/whatever active? I stumbled across the '900club' but it's dead.

I would like to know (a ton) of things - such as are there any available/affordable 9.00x16-compatible rims, can the gear change be fixed etc...

DogDave

I've yet to come up with a question about a forward control that this group couldn't solve, plenty of members that do or have owned an FC and can provide advices

Price gouging is a problem in many classic car circles, hanging is too good for them but not a lot we can do about it, as the market reacts it will be worth making decent new parts and hopefully the types that list stuff on eBay for 5 times a fair price never get a sale and die hungry and penniless and we can get the parts at decent rates from their beneficiaries.

On an unrelated note if anyone knows of a decent supplier of big end bearings for a 2.6 6 cylinder FC engine that isn't if the type mentioned above do let me know......

22900013A

Quote from: Myles (Mr Fox) Davison on Jul 28, 2023, 06:52 PM...so is there an FC (2A/2B) group/forum/whatever active? I stumbled across the '900club' but it's dead.

I would like to know (a ton) of things - such as are there any available/affordable 9.00x16-compatible rims, can the gear change be fixed etc...

Fb groups seem popular, old style forums are generally on the way out. 900club does still function but not much traffic these days.

To answer your questions yes you can get the 8x16 rims for less than £200 a corner (hence the collapse in price of the now less desirable 6.5x16 tube rims.
I suppose you could use a IIB type gear change and lose the centre seat, the original IIA setup was apparently not very good even when new.

22900013A

Quote from: DogDave on Jul 28, 2023, 09:39 PMI've yet to come up with a question about a forward control that this group couldn't solve, plenty of members that do or have owned an FC and can provide advices

Price gouging is a problem in many classic car circles, hanging is too good for them but not a lot we can do about it, as the market reacts it will be worth making decent new parts and hopefully the types that list stuff on eBay for 5 times a fair price never get a sale and die hungry and penniless and we can get the parts at decent rates from their beneficiaries.

On an unrelated note if anyone knows of a decent supplier of big end bearings for a 2.6 6 cylinder FC engine that isn't if the type mentioned above do let me know......

Flipside of the coin, landrover owners expecting rare and complicated parts in exchange for bits of old string and washers is also a thing. We were very, very lucky for a long time that LandRovers were seriously undervalued. All that's happened is a price correction, although admittedly there are still chancers out there asking stupid money. Since when is a cat flap worth £400+?

ChiefBeard

Quote from: 22900013A on Jul 28, 2023, 09:45 PMFlipside of the coin, landrover owners expecting rare and complicated parts in exchange for bits of old string and washers is also a thing.

LR owners, tight-fisted? How dare you. I won't hear it.

Wittsend

Some posts have been removed ...

370abc

So, getting back to to the original post. Please Mr Fox did you buy it, if you did many on here would applaud you and be very jealous.

diffwhine

Those that didn't applaud can provide tea and sympathy...!

Many moons ago, I agonised over buying a Cuthbertson. I did that for weeks before I saw sense. Given that I was living in Wimbledon at the time, it probably wasn't the best choice of vehicle.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon