What did you do with your Land Rover in August

Started by Wittsend, Aug 01, 2023, 10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike T

Finished fitted the hood hoops yesterday and made some mats.

Ben2a

Quote from: Mike T on Aug 05, 2023, 07:33 AMFinished fitted the hood hoops yesterday and made some mats.

Nice !  I miss My 88" being full softtop  :RHD

Paul4978

Fitted a Boomslang headlamp loom - good design and straightforward to fit. Brighter already, ready for new 65/55s from Embertons

WJS

:RHD
Drove it 5 miles to fill up with diesel (first fuel since about 2012!) then discovered the Yale key on my keyring didn't fit the Yale padlock on the filler cap. Ten miles later (home and back again) I put 30 litres in and drove another 12 miles to the Glenisla Classic Vehicles Club's BBQ and Car Show. Had chat with a few Series drivers, took a few photos and came home. No serious snags uncovered: 1. Windscreen washer not squirting 2. Fuel gauge unchanged after refuelling so the big question is..... is it stuck at half full or half empty?
Round trip 40-ish miles without any disasters.
:cheers-man
Formerly on here as Willie Zinc Layer.

gcc130

Is that a Perentie you're parked next to? It looks huge!

Peter Holden

Sorting out ready for the rally and realised that I can't plug my cool box in at the back of the land rover so spending today fitting and wiring in a Hella din socket (they are a more positive connection than a standard fag lighter).  Will finish it after tea (roast lamb)

Peter

diffwhine

Quote from: gcc130 on Aug 06, 2023, 06:08 PMIs that a Perentie you're parked next to? It looks huge!

Does look like it. There's a DROPS Parentie running about round here which is one hell of a tool.

Slightly off topic... I loaded a whole load of old LR stuff to go for scrap. At the bottom of the pile buried in the hedge I found that somebody had bunged a nice solid Christmas tree stand - all rusty and seized. Quick clean up, prime and spray and it came up a treat. It is LR related - I used DBG!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

VOD80

Fixed my fuel gauge. It would only indicate 1/4 full, even when brimmed. The sender checked out OK so I had a play with the coil positions. Now reads "full" when it's full, I'll see what happens when it's empty...

Cheers, Tony

rustynuts

I did absolutely nothing with it. However yesterday evening something else did, probably a cat left three chunks of a large rodent amidst a pool of foaming spew on the bonnet. Obviously I convinced myself that I had more important things to do and would clean it up later. This morning it had all disappeared, perhaps another cat or an owl had recycled it! Isn't nature wonderful, nothing goes to waste.

Alan Drover

Today I gave the probably most neglected component on a classic petrol engine a service. It is the distributor and if electronic ignition is fitted it gets really neglected. Cap off and I checked the carbon brush with a spare (Distributor Doctor) cap and it was noticeably shorter so I replaced  the old cap with the spare. Next the red rotor arm which had a black coating on the brass edge.  Copious spraying of switch cleaner and tyre wall rubbing resulted in a shiny edge.  Abrasive material must not be used on the cap contacts or the rotor arm as doing so will alter the crucial air gap. Next a couple of drops of oil on the felt pad under the rotor arm and a few drops through the hole in the baseplate to lubricate the bobweights.  Rotor arm back on and turn it anticlockwise and let it spring back to check the bobweight springs are ok. Finally with the cap back on and  the plug leads correctly fitted it's time to start the engine which it did.
I'll try to remember to check it annually in future.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GHOBHW

after weeks of no progess or real progress, I finally put the engine in I got from Birdsnest55, ready to give it a check over and then a test run and see how it is, then back out for cleaning up and painting maybe...

also before anyone says, yes I am fitting the front panel and radiator, never run a diesel without water!

WJS

Quote from: gcc130 on Aug 06, 2023, 06:08 PMIs that a Perentie you're parked next to? It looks huge!

It was. Huge. And a Perentie. Ex LR demo apparently. Bloke bought it from LR, I think. Took a few months to get it road-going. Loads of galvanised stuff as standard and a new hood. All parts have LR numbers but from across the range, I heard him say.
The star of the show as far as I was concerned was the 2B (4 vehicles in from the far right). Pristine? Nah it was better than that.
Not sure if I've got pics. 
Formerly on here as Willie Zinc Layer.

GHOBHW

Quote from: WJS on Aug 07, 2023, 05:26 PM

It was. Huge. And a Perentie. Ex LR demo apparently. Bloke bought it from LR, I think. Took a few months to get it road-going. Loads of galvanised stuff as standard and a new hood. All parts have LR numbers but from across the range, I heard him say.
The star of the show as far as I was concerned was the 2B (4 vehicles in from the far right). Pristine? Nah it was better than that.

i read somewhere that the perentie land rover is about 2 inches wider than normal, I've yet to see one in person

Peter Holden

Quite mundane really, finished fitting the Hella din socket in the tub to drive the coolbox after several false satrts then cleamed the tub and started the preliminary stuff in the tub ready for the rally, lots of land rover arts including a spreadbore cylinder head for my nephew to work his magic on including recutting the inlet valve seats and refacing the head.  If I am lucky he will match the ports on teh head to the manifold like he did with the block.  The sump for Moogling is in a bag but I might still strap it to the trailer wit the balance beam.  Funeral tomorrow morning then oil change, check the stoves and coontinue packing.

Peter

diffwhine

Quote from: GHOBHW on Aug 07, 2023, 05:38 PM
Quote from: WJS on Aug 07, 2023, 05:26 PM

i read somewhere that the perentie land rover is about 2 inches wider than normal, I've yet to see one in person

Not all Perenties were made wider. Many were standard width cabs. The Perentie was in reality a vehicle programme rather than any specific model.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon