News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Station Wagon trim query

Started by Mycroft, Aug 03, 2023, 05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mycroft

I've got the front and side internal trim pieces from a 1965 Station Wagon to tidy up and install, but I can't find any pics anywhere of how these fit together. All the other Station Wagons I see seem to have this as one piece. Anyone know? Does one piece overlap the other? Is there a missing (triangular?) piece from the front (the screw holes indicate there might be) or was this cut in half at some point? Any pointers welcome - I've exhausted the parts catalogue and online pics and not found any equivalent of this trim in 2 pieces.
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

nickmerry

I have the exact same trim on my 67 station wagon. They go as you have them, attaching on brackets with self tappers. With mine the mirror fixes across both at the joint. The cutouts at the ends are where they fit around the roof line inside, above the doors, they are installed after the headliner, if you have it, and then they hide the headliner attachment brackets.
It looks like there were sun visors based on the witness marks.
'67 2a 88" Station Wagon

diffwhine

Does this help? Mine's a 1965 SW and this trim is original - I haven't taken it out yet, so if you want to copy it - by all means.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Mycroft

Thanks both, that's perfect. So helpful. I was beginning to think I was going mad trying to find anything similar.  :cheers  :gold-cup

Craig T

Interesting that piece is different to the 109" station wagon but I think I can see why....

As your trim pieces slot over and below the gutter just above the door opening, it couldn't be one piece. On the 109" wagon they only go under the gutter, they are cut off straight at the top level with the side of the gutter so a one piece trim can be fitted in place.

On the 109" station wagons we get long gutter trims called cant rails I think? These are strips of steel with hooks on the back that slot over the gutters and screw to the gutter at the front and centre door pillar in the middle. They are split, two per side so they are only 4 feet or so long. These are covered in thick foam and then trimmed to match the seat material, grey in my case.
These trims cover up the gap at the front that was removed from the white trim across the top of the windscreen. You can see the cant rail trims below in my photo, they are probably 3" or so tall, quite a chunk of padding. 

Probably an irrelevant post to be honest buy hey, interesting to me none the less.

Craig.

Mycroft

Quote from: Craig T on Aug 04, 2023, 09:21 AMInteresting that piece is different to the 109" station wagon but I think I can see why....

As your trim pieces slot over and below the gutter just above the door opening, it couldn't be one piece. On the 109" wagon they only go under the gutter, they are cut off straight at the top level with the side of the gutter so a one piece trim can be fitted in place.

On the 109" station wagons we get long gutter trims called cant rails I think? These are strips of steel with hooks on the back that slot over the gutters and screw to the gutter at the front and centre door pillar in the middle. They are split, two per side so they are only 4 feet or so long. These are covered in thick foam and then trimmed to match the seat material, grey in my case.
These trims cover up the gap at the front that was removed from the white trim across the top of the windscreen. You can see the cant rail trims below in my photo, they are probably 3" or so tall, quite a chunk of padding. 

Probably an irrelevant post to be honest buy hey, interesting to me none the less.

Craig.

Cheers Craig - interesting to me too. I'll have to re-read to make sure I understand the difference.  I also have padded (single piece) side rails to fit, but was just trying to get my head around the front bits first.

I had looked at a photo you'd uploaded of your 109" SW in my quest to understand how my parts fitted and I did therefore wonder whether the 88" and 109" were different.  :cheers

GHOBHW

bit late to the party, but here is mine. built december 63, registered 64...missed the 63 year by about 3 days..

mine never had a mirror or sun visors fitted.

I assume you have the 3 brackets you need to fix it to the vehicle? they fit on the windscreen bolts, then you screw the trim to them

I think the one piece is a later addition, I had one on a 1971 109 station wagon.

Exile

[quote author=Craig T link=msg=2707 date=169113
Interesting that piece is different to the 109" station wagon but I think I can see why....
[/quote]

I always knew there were one-piece and two-piece windscreen trims, but had never worked out why!

Craig T

I am assuming the difference is between the 88" and 109" models rather than a date, early and late thing?
My 109" was built 25th of April 1967 so one of the earlier suffix D chassis numbers.

I didn't realise 88" models got the gutter trims or cant rails. I always assumed they were a 109" only thing as the middle row passengers sit higher than the front driver and passenger so it is quite easy to hit your head on the roof gutters when sitting in the middle and exiting the doors.

I always assumed sun visors came as standard as well in the station wagons, seems not.

Craig.

GHOBHW

Quote from: Craig T on Aug 04, 2023, 11:42 AMI am assuming the difference is between the 88" and 109" models rather than a date, early and late thing?
My 109" was built 25th of April 1967 so one of the earlier suffix D chassis numbers.

I didn't realise 88" models got the gutter trims or cant rails. I always assumed they were a 109" only thing as the middle row passengers sit higher than the front driver and passenger so it is quite easy to hit your head on the roof gutters when sitting in the middle and exiting the doors.

I always assumed sun visors came as standard as well in the station wagons, seems not.

Craig.

on my 88" the gutter trim only covered the rear seating area, had trim everywhere else like normal though.

I was always curious about sun visors too, very handy to have, yet a lot didn't have any at all.

same for the inside rear view mirror, mine never ever had one and I have a ton of period photos of station wagons without them too. guess it depends who was using it ???

On the subject of the roof lining trim above the screen.  My 1970 12 seater had a single full width item with internal sun visors fitted both sides.

The two piece as pictures I have not encountered but would be interested to know if it is date specific or only fitted in 88".

Mycroft

My 88" side trim only covers the rear area. I therefore don't understand why the 109" was different, other than a choice - the side bits don't reach the front either. I think the 2-piece front trim became one-piece at some point - that's how it appears in my late IIa optional parts catalogue. Sadly I don't have any fixing brackets GHOBHW - do you have any photos or diagrams of what I'm missing? Cheers, J

GHOBHW

a bit hard to make out in these images, but they look to be one piece, so maybe it is just for 109s

the B reg is obviously a 64 and the other is from 1962

a little edit, i just realised the 62 one has sun visors and a rear view mirror, 64 only has a rear view mirror, i have quite a few pictures of 88s from this angle too, only 1 has a rear view mirror and no sun visors. must've been up to whoever was ordering ???

GHOBHW

Quote from: Mycroft on Aug 04, 2023, 12:55 PMMy 88" side trim only covers the rear area. I therefore don't understand why the 109" was different, other than a choice - the side bits don't reach the front either. I think the 2-piece front trim became one-piece at some point - that's how it appears in my late IIa optional parts catalogue. Sadly I don't have any fixing brackets GHOBHW - do you have any photos or diagrams of what I'm missing? Cheers, J

I have the fixings somewhere, I'll get some photos in a few minutes - they are pretty simple, I bet you could make some up in a day.

Craig T

Interesting photos there GHOBHW, I hadn't seen those before. Interesting to note the 10 seat version there has the wider grab rail on the back of the centre seat. It was reduced in width sometime before my one was built in 67 as can be seen in the image below.

So chances are the gutter trim or cant rail is the same in the 88" and 109" as the split in the rails on mine is at the back of the rear side door. I believe the side window panels were the same for 88" and 109" so guess the trim rails were also the same length. The 109" just got an extra padded rail that went over both the side doors and butted up to the white panel above the screen.

Craig.