Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

S2C Cutaway 2.25 Petrol Engine resurrection

Started by diffwhine, Jul 07, 2023, 09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

JonB

Following Diffwhines' pics, here's another step.

My friend Nick has a powder coating and blasting business in Bristol, and he kindly agreed to do the powder coating on the cutaway parts for free, and to give me the use of his equipment to bead-blast (needed to remove the thick paint that all the aluminium parts had on them), then vapour-blast the other parts. I've also had a lot of the steel carb parts yellow passivate plated, and donated some small parts so it now looks rather nice

I've added his card in the pic as a thank you, and if anyone wants parts doing in the south west, he'll sort it for you.

Jon

diffwhine

Wow...!
Obviously we must thank Nick and I will try to call him myself if I get a minute. Thanks Jon - cracking job. You've set the bar high!  :cheers

diffwhine

One of the problems I have is that the oil filler stay bracket has nothing to bolt onto on the block, as that bit has been cutaway. As a result the plate was bent. I think I need to fabricate some sort of bracket to give the filler neck some strength.

diffwhine

I'm thinking of painting some areas of the interior a brighter colour to make them more visible.
Maybe paint crank webs black where they can be seen and con rods silver?
I also need to find a colour similar to the cream inside block colour to paint the inside of the crank case where its visible. Autorover1 did say that it was a special paint put on after casting to attract debris. Anybody got any suggestions as to what that colour might be? Its almost a magnolia / cream colour.

Peter Holden

diffwhine

Dangerous Peter... I might be a closet Goth and do the whole thing in matt black...

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not a closet Goth...

autorover1

Chalky
Quote from: diffwhine on Jul 13, 2023, 03:28 PMI also need to find a colour similar to the cream inside block colour to paint the inside of the crank case where its visible. Autorover1 did say that it was a special paint put on after casting to attract debris. Anybody got any suggestions as to what that colour might be? Its almost a magnolia / cream colour.

It was a sort of chalky cream colour , difficult to describe. Certainly looks a lot darker when subject to oil in a used vehicle 

diffwhine

Similar to Limestone? I wonder if we just use that given that its readily available.

GlenAnderson

The fact that it's never going to see hot oil in service means I wouldn't be too concerned about getting the exact right paint. Limestone would probably be a good compromise for cost and availability.

I found an otter switch yesterday if you still need one.

diffwhine

Thanks Glen.
I agree - Limestone might be the best for highlighting things as well. Thanks for the offer on the Otter switch, but it seems as though JonB has found one.

diffwhine

Progress report...
Crankshaft cleaned, journals de-rusted and webs painted
Oil Pump and dipstick tube painted
Block cleaned
Valve and timing gear cleaned and coated with Owatrol so it looks like they are covered in clean oil.
Con rods painted
And of course as per the photo - the most important bit - polished the rebuild plate.

About to start on painting the block. the plan is to paint the exposed inside areas with Limestone and detail the cut areas with red paint. I've painted the crank black gloss and the two exposed con rods silver so they can be seen clearly against the limestone inside of the crank case. I'm not going to fit # 1 & 2 Pistons and conrods so the engine turns more freely. I'm also going to ditch the clutch. To use my daughter's delightful phrase - "it looks a bit manky". Just adds weight and no significant value as far as I can see. That said, if anybody gets a fit of enthusiasm to degrease and  paint up (in black gloss) an old 3 prong 9" pressure assembly as a contribution, I'd happily fit it.

Now trying to see if I can save the original drain tap which seems to have been forced.

Birdsnest55

Looking good, will it be at the rally?

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

diffwhine

I don't think so - simply because of logistics of getting it there on its smart yellow trolley. We will have it at the NEC show in November and I'm sure plenty of future events.

I might be able to complete it before the rally at a push, but getting it up there may not be so simple. I'll have a think on that one

Birdsnest55

Maybe SuperCal will pop by to collect and drop it off, he did like his last road trip.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.