News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

The LR wave? Well... do you? Can you?

Started by NoBeardNoTopKnot, Sep 08, 2023, 11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBeardNoTopKnot

The LR wave? Well... do you? Can you?

And for this question, doing this in summer is OK, and well enough, but....

It's something I confess I don't bother with much. The wave I mean. More because I can't.
I suspect it's about where I live? In these parts (northern home counties) LRs tend to be of the gloss black drug-dealer persuasion, and the last of the old Defenders. You know the kind of thing, snorkel, glossy panoramic roof etc. Driver with mirror-shades and hair-surplus. I'm afraid you'll just not see a Series on the roads round here. If you do, it'll be in August, won't be driven in the wet, and is so clean, you'd eat dinner off it.

A series has become rare, in one of the cold months it must be 15-20 years since I saw another on the same stretch of wet or frozen road as yours truly. Thing is, at the time I would have  thought nothing of it.
It'd be so long ago I can't truly say when this last happened? If it was nearer 25 years ago, it would not surprise me. This saddens me, because aside from the window-cleaner in our town in his Morry Minor pick-up and a green MGB, I don't see classics in daily use at all.

This means, unless I wave to our drug-dealer brethren, occasion for the LR waves are seldom. The exception? I did get to wave when I saw a woman driving a Series, this was 2-3 summers back. Isuppose women driving Series must happen, only aside from 1960s pix of HM the Queen, I've never seen a women at the wheel of a Series. Certainly not in the flesh. Some of you may well have SHMBO behind the wheel? Anyway, she got a wave. But again, this was in summer.

I rather hope it's just where I live. I rather hope the answer to my question is "Where I live, all the time..."

So here goes, in the cold months, and I like the cold too, when were you last able to wave at a Series LR on the same bit of road as you?

Alan Drover

Even Defenders are less common in my area than previously. However the upmarket non Land Rover Land Rovers are very common. The last Series I saw was a 3 outside the nearby Tesco Metro but I hope to see a few at Longstock 9/10 September (tomorrow and Sunday).
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

I don't wave  :shakinghead

... unless waved at - even if it's 2 fingers.

I've upgraded my Land Rover and I now have a headlight flasher  :cool

People in posh life-style "Land Rovers" who do wave probably also own a classic Land Rover.

:neener   

Alan Drover

I use the headlamp flasher where appropriate as another driver could mistake it for "I'm giving way to you", otherwise I wait to be waved at.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

OK, only all this avoids the question.

Wittsend

Motorcyclists wave to each other - unless there's a speed trap ahead.

:bike-2

Alan Drover

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Sep 08, 2023, 11:35 AMOK, only all this avoids the question.
How? The original question asked "do you do the Land Rover wave" as part of the topic. We've given our responses.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

NoBeardNoTopKnot

" In the cold months when were you last able to wave at a Series LR on the same bit of road as you? "

Wittsend

GlenAnderson

I also can't actually remember the last time I saw a series Land-Rover in what looked like daily use.

Except for the one on my drive.

Space-Kook

Quote from: NoBeardNoTopKnot on Sep 08, 2023, 11:03 AMThe exception? I did get to wave when I saw a woman driving a Series, this was 2-3 summers back. Isuppose women driving Series must happen, only aside from 1960s pix of HM the Queen, I've never seen a women at the wheel of a Series. Certainly not in the flesh. Some of you may well have SHMBO behind the wheel? Anyway, she got a wave. But again, this was in summer.

There are as many women on this forum as there are senile old men, so that makes at least one.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Sep 08, 2023, 12:16 PMI also can't actually remember the last time I saw a series Land-Rover in what looked like daily use.

Except for the one on my drive.

For a moment I thought it was me. GA, you have it. That'd be the thrust of my question. Used as much in Feb as August. I love mine, I can't really grasp why I'd ever want to restrict use, and not use it year round. I'm not sure what stops others, something does. If like me, you've not seen another, that's a real shame.

I'm extremely pleased to hear of women in Series, I've heard of it, yet until that day, never seen it. There's something very appealing about women with old cars. As this senile old man said, she most certainly got a wave, she earns it! Wish it happened more.

Now, if I could see women in January, in a series -  I'd be happy.  My question is why I don't see men or women in January, in a Series.

I am not inattentive, but on the rare occasion when a modern land rover does wave at series, they have usually gone by before the penny has dropped or you have ungripped the wheel or gearstick to respond.

Old80

Good few still earning a daily living in Hereford, mine being one of them up until this year, not currently working for its keep as I have taken a year out following a knee replacement op.

GHOBHW

still get a lot of waves in yorkshire, from most old land rovers, old defenders, series etc

I don't usually start the wave though, 99% of times I'm responding back to one ???

most old classic cars give a wave too, if I see them about.

also see a few in daily use, saw one towing a jeep the other month, theres a lightweight near me also in daily use.

guess it depends where you live and what work they're gonna be doing.