News:

Dance Like a Chicken Day   ... 

Main Menu

The LR wave? Well... do you? Can you?

Started by NoBeardNoTopKnot, Sep 08, 2023, 11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N

Yes, of course I wave - everything up to puma Defender. If a more modern Landy than that waves to me then I return the gesture, but no point waving to range rovers or standard discos 3/4 etc.

There are 3 other series owners on my street, and another 3 classic defender owners. I guess down sourh we have a glut.

William

I exchanged a cheery wave with a lightweight driver last winter in south london, and another with a nice well used series 3. They've been thin on the ground since - although I got a big wave off a nicely beaten up ex-mod 110 in Beckenham the other day. I don't bother with the newer ones - I find it difficult to tell them apart. Other than that I get a few thumbs up from white van drivers...

Worf

The "Yorkshire Finger" suffices for me. :cheers-man
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen nob'dy 'll notice."

DogDave

Loads to wave at around here. My neighbor to one side has a S2a, other side an early pre defender 90. All of us use them all year round.

Seems all series owners wave and about half defender ones.

Exile

Is this photo evidence enough, that I drive a Series all year, including winter?

And I may not be a million miles from you....

Spike68

I often get thumbs up from old school defender drivers

diffwhine

I think I get a thumbs up or a wave when driving a Land Rover. My eyesight isn't great, so it could be some other gesture I suppose...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Theshed

In Summer months probably as much as in Winter.
Don't often see a Series but the majority wave back. Had a surprise wave from a lady in a New Discovery last week and generally look to see if they wave at me first.
Local Vicar has a few old cars and gives a wave as do most older car drivers. That's driving older cars not older Drivers !  :RHD
After several 'random' waves I managed to speak to a guy with a newish Ford. Apparently he also has a Series 3. 😁

I was going to add that I got more waves when Driving my Disco' 2. Then it dawned, it was my Daily Drive so Law of averages. 🤔😁

island dormy

I wave back to anybody who waves at me (even the mini van drivers), they all know my landrover. I might not know who they are but I wave anyway.

Surprisingly we still have a lot of series land rovers on Vancouver island and a fair number of old style defenders, a fellow is sure to see one or the other every time you venter out.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Well that's heartening. I get the idea not all wish to entertain the root of my question, hence this thread becomes about the LR Wave. What I'm heartened by is despite a Series outside of August drought, this in my part of the world, that's not true elsewhere. That's great to hear.

I kid not, round here, outside of summer there's no one to wave to. Now a Series LR is not rare, the parts are easy to get, and cheap. Some of you clearly use yours year round, fuel is pricey, but compared to a modern car, all else is in buttons. It's cheap motoring. What stops all round use for more of us?

Boxoftricks

I wave in both series and defender. In the defender you can actually take one hand off the wheel at over 40mph.....

The Series is a soft top so will be wintered in my cousin's barn.  No point in getting it covered in salt.

Bloke

I always thought it went something like:

Series 1-3 owners - 100% wave to each other

Defenders owners - 50% wave to each other

2B/101/Forward Control Owners - 100% wave, flash lights, turn around and convoy to the nearest pub for a pint and a chat with each other
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

Clifford Pope

Everyone waves around here out of courtesy, when passing at a passing place, and just general bon homie, whatever they are driving.
Not visitors of course. They look miserable most of the time, don't see the need to thank people, and can't reverse.
There are quite a lot of landrovers around, some series, mostly muddy and battered defenders, but to the average person they all look the same. There're what farmers drive, like tractors. The cheerful ones wave to anyone.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Clifford Pope on Sep 08, 2023, 06:49 PMEveryone waves around here out of courtesy, when passing at a passing place, and just general bon homie, whatever they are driving.
Not visitors of course. They look miserable most of the time, don't see the need to thank people, and can't reverse.
There are quite a lot of landrovers around, some series, mostly muddy and battered defenders, but to the average person they all look the same. There're what farmers drive, like tractors. The cheerful ones wave to anyone.

That's it right there. Indirectly exactly the 'thing' I was speaking of. I'm afraid I'm from the 'orribble place that inflicts er... people on you every summer, aggressive, entitled and rich enough ( not me mind...) to attempt to pass this beast onto you. Our young can't buy a house because the cheapest, cheapest mind is £450,000, the outer reaches of the Tube are few minutes away., and, all this they tell us -  is a good thing?

You'll not   find  a Series in February if your life depends on it. You'll find fakers and fakes well enough, in June. And I love the idea that you, rather than us ignorant southerners wave to each other, this with nil regard to what you're driving? That has to be the ultimate.

My tip: for chrissakes don't say precisely where this place is, else people you won't like will descend on you to ruin the very thing they came for.

Richard

Here abouts, there's the occasional Series Land Rover. Come summer or winter, or any other season for that matter. When I'm behind the wheel of the Disco, Series, 90/110 or Defender owners hardly ever wave. But when I'm driving my Series 2a, they almost stop, get out of their car and wave at me from the curb, as if I were royalty... When I drove to the Land Rover Sortout Sunday near Zeewolde, the last stretch was in fact one handed driving :cool I don't know, I'm not keeping accounts, but I think I initiate The Wave as often as I respond to one.
Richard
'64 S2a