News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

, Garage Clocks

Started by Alan Drover, May 05, 2024, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

Completely OT and daft but here's mine at 3.40ish pm. It's always 5 minutes fast.
It's definitely NOT a mirror image.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

Here's my garage clock "lifted" from the skip at work.

I run it at real time  :coffee

Craig T

I recently made a new garage wall clock.

When I first started my engineering career as an injection moulding toolmaker one of the first bits of kit I bought was a dial test indicator. We used them as comparators sitting on a stand on a granite surface plate and a pile of slip gauges to measure the size of components as we were surface grinding or spark-eroding them. We used to work to tolerances of less than one micron at times so we had DTI's with 2 micron graduations. The best DTI's on the market at the time were made by a Swiss company, TESA.

We all called them clocks....

So fast forward nearly 30 years, the DTI is still working well in my home workshop and I thought, I'd like one of those that tells the time.

I nip on ebay, buy a generic wall clock with a black rim and then start modelling the rest in the CAD system. The DTI face is 38mm diameter so 8 times that is 304mm which is pretty close to the 300mm clock I bought. Once drawn up in CAD, converted to .stl file, a roll of silver plastic, and a fair few hours on the printer and we have a 3D printed DTI body.
The clock face was also drawn in CAD, printed on A3 paper, cut out, laminated and attached inside the clock face.

Now I have a proper clock that tells the time.

Craig.

diffwhine

Now that is brilliant.

See if anybody can top that!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

JohnR2

Very clever - great work!

Alan Drover

Puts mine in the shade.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Great thread though. Reminds me that I really should have a clock in my garage. Might prevent the management growling at me when I appear too late.

Craig T

It's common practice now in my house to say, I'm going to the garage, only be ten minutes....

Those ten minutes can be quite variable in length....  :))

Craig.

diffwhine

Yup  I hear you. The standard response to that in this house is "I'll see you at 11 O'Clock then" Usually she's about right, but while Britain's Got Talent is on, I need a sanctuary.

Alan Drover

Quote from: diffwhine on May 07, 2024, 01:30 PMbut while Britain's Got Talent is on, I need a sanctuary.
Don't we all!
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Calum

Quote from: Alan Drover on May 07, 2024, 01:58 PM
Quote from: diffwhine on May 07, 2024, 01:30 PMbut while Britain's Got Talent is on, I need a sanctuary.
Don't we all!
I find the best way is not to have a telly at all :flasher

Exile

I am no longer married.

Hence I don't need a clock in the workshop....  :)