Family friendly off road options in Berkshire / Oxfordshire?

Started by angello, Oct 05, 2023, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angello

I'm looking for any suggestions for some lightweight off-roading / green-laning in the Berkshire / Oxfordshire area to introduce some uninitiated friends and family to the joys of our wonderful old vehicles.... a couple of hours of solo vehicle bumbling through the countryside off the beaten track with a picnic sort of thing, rather than a group of ten tooled up Landies bogged to the axles and an hour of winching.
I'd initially thought 'Ridgeway' but it's closed from 1st October. Anyone got any suggestions I can explore?

Alan Drover

Don't know much about lanes in your area but Salisbury Plain isn't too far away. Might be worth investigating.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

First - get yourself an OS Explorer map of the area(s) you are interested in.
You can buy a hard copy map and these give you a code so you can download the map and use the OS app on your PC or phone.
(I have the OS map app download for the whole of the mainland UK.)

Some areas of the UK are bereft of green lanes you can legally drive  :'(
For example there are none in Scotland.
A quick look in your general area suggests there isn't much.

On the map you are looking for tracks marked out with green dots.
These are Byways Open to All Traffic - BOATS.

Generally you can legally drive these.
Some may have temporary traffic orders banning vehicles at specific times - like winter months when tracks might get muddy and be damaged.
Some tracks are very sensitive and contentious with other users - like hikers. These are best avoided. The Ridgeway is one such track.
Having found some BOATS you wish to drive - check with the local council's website and look for their definitive maps showing rights of way. Most councils do this now. Sometimes tracks are closed by traffic orders or maybe under repair. The council's map will say if a track is open or not.
Take a note of the track's road number and name. Mark it on your map.
Should you ever be challenged as to your right to be there you will have the "evidence" that you can be (unless you are lost).
Salisbury Plain is a great place for green lanes but I'd hazard that they (some) are not really suitable for green lane virgins or non-damaging to vehicles. Some are, some aren't you need local knowledge.

Some good advice/knowlege can be got from S2C area reps and local members.

GLASS - the Green Lane Association keep maps - Trailwise is their app - a record of which green lanes you can drive - but I find the information is sometimes not slap bang up to date. Which is why I suggest checking on the relevant council's website.

Green laning on your own - especially if you are a virgin laner and don't know where you are going is not recommended  :shakinghead
What happens if you get stuck or breakdown ???
Although these are "roads" public rights of way - breakdown recovery services won't come to your rescue.
Best to go in a small group with someone with local knowledge.

I have attached an image from the OS map of my local green lane just on my door step.

:RHD 

Noddy

Just to clarify Alan's post those routes marked with green dots on OS Explorer maps (red dots on Landranger ) are "Other Routes with Public Access, ORPA's. BOATs (Byways Open to All Traffic) are shown with green crosses (red on Landranger). Both these types of highway are legal to drive if physically possible. On either type of route  an order prohibiting access to motor vehicles can be in force (flying motor bike signs).

Alec

jonhutchings

Wiltshire has a number of lovely lanes and Byways (my knowledge is a few years out of date mind) and would not be too far away. You could trundle down the a4 to Marlborough for coffee and then drive some lovely lanes and byways around the area and either go onto the Plain or just local lanes and byways and end in Pewsey or Devizes.

There are a few companies that do organised tours much like this for a reason :)

Hopefully someone local to that area will be able to help with more up to date and specifc advice should you decide to go that way.

diffwhine

Don't say that... I'll get invaded!

Its true though - Marlborough is a lovely town and well used to hosting people driving green lanes round here. I'm not fully au fait with all the lanes round here, but our local LRSOC rep is also a S2C member and may be able to give some pointers. He does loads of LRSOC drives in the local area and great fun they are too! If you track down gcc130 on here and drop him a note, he may be able to advise better.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

angello

Thanks for the thoughts  :cheers  Useful advice.
We're looking into a foray onto Salisbury plain on a non-firing weekend as an option and exploring some of the more local BOATs that don't have TROs on....

gcc130

As Mark says, I organise lots of greenlane trips for the Series One Club and know lots of the greenlanes in Wiltshire.
We are lucky to have many lanes in Wiltshire and Wiltshire Council have a very positive attitude.
You don't need to head for Salisbury Plain, there is a large network of lanes off the plain and it would be easy to fill a day just in the Marlborough area as suggested on non damaging, scenic routes.
Feel free to contact me if you would like some suggestions.
Andrew