News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

What's your Landys Name ?

Started by Ben2a, Oct 24, 2023, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Holden

YOD it's registration but the 2 series ones I had when I was young and foolish were Agnes and Betsy.

My nephew refers to all his by the letters in the reg so the S2vis known as YNM but when it belonged to his dad it was known as Aggie

Peter

Hercules

Mines known as Hercules after the knackered old nag in Steptoe & Son

diffwhine

Quote from: Pursy on Oct 24, 2023, 11:03 PMRusty for obvious reasons

I forgot. I also had a 2 Door Range Rover called Tetley.
It was rust bag with 2000 perforations...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Gareth

Betsy, as in "whoa Betsy!!!"

(I've since fixed the brakes 😮)

Noddy

When I got our first Landy which was a SWB Bitsa the kids called it Noddy because the harsh ride made you nod. When we got the Dormy it had to be called Big Ears.

Alec

Spike68

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Hercules on Oct 25, 2023, 07:39 AMMine's known as Hercules after the knackered old nag in Steptoe & Son

That has wit.

For me it's cars referred to as 'a she'? Yes, yes I know, it's a beard-brigade thing and harmless enough, but oh pleeeeeze, why?

If you truly want to call your LR 'a she', fine I suppose - only have the grace to keep it to yourself.  Not, not in public? Surely, asking people if they'd like to know  "How much string you've got in your pocket?" is preferable?

Went to buy a car; then it happened. Excuses to Capt. Birdseye and I was off.

Paul4978

No name
Various expletives along the way and
NSSDT
(Noisy smelly slow dirty thirsty)

g6anz

If I had to call mine anything, apart from UAD, it would be 'You Bas***d. Two reasons. First the obvious one as in start You B****, secondly, and more obscure, In Terry Pratchett's book ' Pyramids' he introduces camels as superb mathematicians one of whom is called You B****. So to calculate the amount of money I've spent on it I need to have a mathematician nearby and UAD is the closest.
Well you did ask!
No Worries mate

jkhackney

Quote from: Paul4978 on Oct 25, 2023, 09:38 AM...
NSSDT
(Noisy smelly slow dirty thirsty)

It's appropriate! Is it prounounced "nasty" ?

Mine was called "BABY G" in England for its number plate BBY 6G but we call it "The Dormobile", or else, as above, expletives.

Crumbly65

SWMBO calls it "The Mangler".

Think it's named after some lethal machine in a Stephen King horror film.........

12 seater is called 'jumbo' as the reg is 747

My pal had an 86 called 'trixie' and his brother had an 80 known as 'vlad'.

Kev

Exile

This is called Legless.

Because I really did not need another Land Rover.

Have a listen to this, it might explain the name.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FG3Ty3jD4

Please excuse the ads!

simon1959

Quote from: 58paul on Oct 24, 2023, 09:57 PMNever named a landy, I just call them by there regs  ???

DOG 905C I call DOG
YAC 378 I call YAC
4289 WD I call WD
YUE 942 I call YUE

I had a bit of a challenge with that system.

687 GAE  I call Gertie

or Gertrude if she is misbehaving!