News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Paint code for black instrument panels?

Started by AP-IIA, Sep 13, 2023, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP-IIA

Has anyone repainted the black instrument panels on the dash?  What shade of black or paint code did you use?

Gareth

I used Hammerite black spray. Looked fine and is durable.

Craig T

I also used an off the shelf rattle can that was titled "Gloss black"
It came from Halfords which used to be a car accessory supermarket style place in the UK, now turned into more of a bike shop than anything else.

If you are getting someone else to paint it then I'm sure they could find a base black in their suppliers colour charts. If you are doing it yourself I would just find a paint called gloss black and give it a try. Unless you have an original bit of a panel that has never seen light and never faded, you are unlikely to match it perfectly.

Craig.

2 Du

It was suggested to me to use Revell Aqua Color 302.  Worked super well!!

GlenAnderson

I would, personally, use a satin/semi-gloss black.

Twomokes

Mine was repainted with a standard gloss black like Craig's
The old days are the old days only because there're gone and won't be back.

diffwhine

I've been buying black gloss paints (and other paints) from Paragon Paints for some time now. Not the cheapest, but on top of an etch prime, this stuff gives a lovely coat. Good coverage and nice depth of colour.

https://www.paragonpaints.co.uk/Land-Rover-Colours.html
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

NoBeardNoTopKnot

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I've been waiting years for forum threads to be like this... I'm having the time of my life.

Wittsend

Exile

So you have painted your dash in standard gloss black.

Someone gets into your Land Rover and says "That's the wrong shade of black".

Hands up all those to whom this has happened....

diffwhine

If somebody did that to me, I'd put their head through the windscreen. Life is just a bit too short to worry about what colour tone of black to use. Anyway - the depth of colour is entirely dependent on the base primer coat.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

Quote from: diffwhine on Sep 16, 2023, 04:38 PMIf somebody did that to me, I'd put their head through the windscreen.
Not worth it, you'd have to buy a new screen.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Eve

Technically, black isn't a colour  :thud

geoff