News:

It's Spring time   ... 

Main Menu

Forum Pub Meet.

Started by Exile, Jul 17, 2023, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exile

Not sure if this feature has migrated to the new forum.

A pity, if not.

Because I was reminiscing with myself about when I first came here, several forums ago.

I was amazed at how lightly moderated it was, and how members could talk about just about anything, as long as other members enjoyed it and contributed to the thread.

Wittsend wisely took the attitude that as long as it wasn't offensive or breached forum rules, we could talk about anything - realising that most threads die a natural death when no-one wants to say anything more. So it doesn't need the kind of moderation I was escaping from on another forum
None of the barking: "That's not Series II. Thread quarantined!"

We had classic tractor threads, classic bike threads - and does anyone remember when someone discovered an Asperger's self-diagnosis website and put up a link?

Loads of us went on it and took the test.
And guess what?
Most of us were on the spectrum!!
We had a laugh about it possibly being a necessity if you are obsessively into tinkering with old machinery, alone in your shed!

It was a lively place, and a lot of people used to log in, just for the craic and humour - as opposed to just question-and-answer threads on a SII problem.

After the trauma recently on the former forum, I hope we can go back to making this forum just as enjoyable.

After all, Diffwhine can't do it on his own!  :neener

Beowulf

Quote from: Exile on Jul 17, 2023, 06:39 PM....... We had a laugh about it possibly being a necessity if you are obsessively into tinkering with old machinery, alone in your shed!

It was a lively place, and a lot of people used to log in, just for the craic and humour - as opposed to just question-and-answer threads on a SII problem.

After the trauma recently on the former forum, I hope we can go back to making this forum just as enjoyable.....

I support your aim for a Pub-Meet style of place where there aren't topic limiting T&Cs resembling a dress code before being allowed in. And that's not a criticism of the criteria for the General Discussion section, I support that equally. 

And as you say, many of us will have other none LR but still associated interests like classic car/tractor/steam/bike etc.

And with enough support, maybe what we are asking for can be accommodated, even if as a subsection, not unlike the smallest room at the back of the pub.  :cheers
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Ed Straker

Is it possible to put the link up for self diagnosed Aspergers again?

I have a suspicion I may be in the club.

j

scotty38

As Wittsend mentioned in another thread the Pub meeting name change was primarily done as a virtual thing during covid times hence why he reverted back to the usual type name on the new site.

I will not, and cannot, speak for him but I suspect as long as we use the same sensible, family oriented criteria as before the same types of posts will be fine. We can if it's needed of course create a whole new section if it's warranted.

Anyway over to Alan....  :hinges
Still Wittsend's little helper.....

Wittsend

I refer you back to Exile's original topic starter.

This section of the forum IS is the forum's pub meeting place.

We could change the name from "General Discussion" if it helps.
The old forum started to "spread" lots of different sections for little vied/posted subjects.
My aim here is to keep the new forum slim and mean.
One of the constant meanings from the forum critics (most of whom have not bothered to register on here  :gold-cup  ) was that the forum was difficult to navigate  :thud

On this forum we have "lost" the Introduce Yourself section - people now just post their hellos here. I tried to lose the Miscellaneous Sales section - I await to see how well used that is. Likewise - Forum Relay isn't often used.

I like to keep the "eBay Specials" away from the main section and park them in the Vehicles for sale section.

It's just a matter of trying to correctly pigeon hole the posts into the right section(s).

Yes, we can wander off the main track - but I don't want to see the sort of posts and tone we had on the old forum earlier in the year  :shakinghead
You can take all that rubbish to FaceBook or wherever.

A-Ro

Talking of Pub Meets, there used to be a sub group on the previous forum where real Pub Meets were advertised, that appears to be missing from the new incarnation. I don't know if that was deliberate or an oversight but I certainly used to used it to advertise the regular Oxford Pub Meet.

7pm on the Third Thursday of every month at the Victoria Arms, Mill Lane, Oxford OX3 0QA for those who may be interested.

Exile

Perhaps I was being a little too conscientious, as the General Discussion Board states "anything to do with Series 2 Land Rovers", and I was hoping to allow the (almost always non-controversial) topics that members were also interested in, but were not Series 2.

It kept the forum lively, and some members, I seem to remember logged in to enjoy these topics specifically.
(Maybe those who were getting tired of only answering the same questions? :) )

Or am I looking back with rose-tinted glasses?

(OK.  I'll come clean, your honour.  :judge I wanted to put up a moody pic of my classic Ford 5000 tractor! :)))

Wittsend

Early days I think. This new forum has only been going for 2 weeks, with just over 400 registrations, half of you are S2C members.

The old forum has some 2632 users, half of whom are S2C members.

It's going to take time to fill all the seats in the pub  :cheers

Crumbly65

This is still my happy place, and the "Pub meet" ethos is one of the main reasons why.

Finding a decent simple pub in my area where I can nurse a pint all night, whilst indulging in banter and rambling discussions about anything and nothing in particular, is impossible. Economic s and drink driving laws have put paid to that old way of life I think.

So a very warm welcome to the new Forum, Exile's comments, and I look forward to the return of all those forumeers who have fallen by the wayside

I never had any problems at all with the old forum, whether using it on my MacBook, iPad or iPhone, and this one looks just as good, so onwards and upwards. And a big thank you to Alan and the Elves for all the hard work in getting this one up & running.

w3526602

Hi,

Probably OTish

My Sister and her husband have political views opposite to ours. When they visit us, we take them out for a meal, but he insists on paying. He is a freelance journalist, and apparently quite successful, aricles in the Telegraph, etc. ... big house in Dulwich, a few doors from where Maggie lived.

I thought taking to the local political Club (Directly opposite to his views) would be fun. But their web-site say the require visiting members to wear "a shirt capable of been worn with a tie". I haven't worn, nor still own, such a garment. I last wore one for my daughters wedding, 20+ years ago. Nowadays its T-shirt, jumper and jeans. Pity!

Dave G, the gentleman who called today, while you were visiting, was the a candidate for the last Council elections. Unsuccessful, but has always gone out of his way to help us, seems able to pull favours amongst his colleagues.