News:

It's Spring Time   ... 

Main Menu

Climate change - phooey

Started by Wittsend, Nov 10, 2023, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

Quote from: w3526602 on Nov 11, 2023, 03:37 PMDoes that mean that 40ft depth of Polar ice is floating on a thin layer of water.

That's the process of how glaciers move...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

whitehillbilly64

I was watching a show the other day. Wish I could remember what it was called.
It talked about a population decline of an Animal, due to Climate change.
2,500 years ago.
I saw a Docco on the sister ship being sunk for the reason you suggest.

whitehillbilly

Larry S

A UAE businessman has a plan to move an iceberg to its shores for drinking water.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Richard

Quote from: Larry S on Nov 12, 2023, 02:01 AMA UAE businessman has a plan to move an iceberg to its shores for drinking water.
Or a pipeline from the regularly overflowing Indus and Narmada to the UAE... Interesting. Thinking outside the sandbox :cool
Richard
'64 S2a

Wittsend

The moving an iceberg plan was in a Superman film and has been on the table for years.

Someone should take it to Dragon's Den  :snowman

Icebergs and shipping don't exactly mix  :confused

Richard

Quote from: Wittsend on Nov 12, 2023, 09:19 AMIcebergs and shipping don't exactly mix 
It'd be a titanic enterprise :cool
Richard
'64 S2a

diffwhine

I was under the impression that it had been trialled and wasn't quite such a fantastic concept as suggested. In the age of desalination plants, maybe its not quite so viable anyway. Mind you. If we keep going as we are, there won't be enough icebergs to go around...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Wittsend

.... or maybe I'm getting confused with the other great Richard Pryor film - Brewster's Millions ???

:snowman

Betsy1969

Quote from: DogDave on Nov 10, 2023, 09:20 PMSame here in the Calder Valley, floods every year and we have had some major ones like 2016 - we can't afford to run the gulley suckers that used to go round and empty all the drains so everything is full of leaves and the wagons stand idle, luckily there is enough money to give all the councillors a pay rise and now we are being told they will increase the number of councillors on the council, all drawing big allowances though every month.

I guess no one could say we have our priorities wrong......
And that in a nutshell is what is wrong with most government ( local and National ) run organisations.

Alan Drover

I daren't express my opinions.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Uffddd

Quote from: Wittsend on Nov 12, 2023, 09:19 AMThe moving an iceberg plan was in a Superman film and has been on the table for years.

Someone should take it to Dragon's Den  :snowman

Icebergs and shipping don't exactly mix  :confused

Interestingly there was a long and glorious history of shipping ice about in the days before refrigeration. It formed quite an important part of the economy in parts of New England and Norway.

That said, towing an iceberg is quite silly.

geoff

Quote from: Betsy1969 on Nov 12, 2023, 02:44 PM
Quote from: DogDave on Nov 10, 2023, 09:20 PMwe can't afford to run the gulley suckers that used to go round and empty all the drains so everything is full of leaves and the wagons stand idle, luckily there is enough money to give all the councillors a pay rise and now we are being told they will increase the number of councillors on the council, all drawing big allowances though every month.

And that in a nutshell is what is wrong with most government ( local and National ) run organisations.

Gee, where I am the cCouncil wanted to shut the local recreation centre / gym  /  swimming pool complex as they were losing money hand over fist and as a consequence the ratepayers would suffer .............

Well, somehow a private firm stepped up and took the whole shooting match over and have somehow, miraculously, been making a better than healthy profit each and every year ever since !!!!!

Economy my arse ..... and yes I also cannot express my opinions  :ranting  :ranting

Larry S

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

w3526602

Icebergs and shipping don't exactly mix.

Hi,

The above statement ignores plans to build big ships out of
PIKECRETE. Can anybody here expand on what PIKECRETE is, or was, or will be.

Er, does a block of ice (Ice is always pure H2O!) float with 1/6th above the water? Or is the submerged part six times the height of the exposed part?  And does that ratio depend on the weight of the exposed part verses the weight of the submerged part?

Alan Drover

I believe it's 1/3rd above water.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"